Question: Straw Poll: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

What temperature is your tank?

• Total voters
Where i live, winter is the worst time of the year because that is when our house heater would be used the most. It used to shoot up to 25C but i managed to set up my water cooling dispenser to cool my tank so now my temperature stays at a constant 14 C.

the $10 investment was definitely worth it.

Re: Straw Pole: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

where can I get a chiller from? the only ones on ebay are massive and are £250 :(
I pick my axolotls up next week and the tanks still sat at 22c thats with a 16" desk fan propped up blowing into it, ive even tried an ice bottle and its not bringing it down. its got 50ltrs of water in it at the moment but I need to take some of that out (water level too high)

Here's another option :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...932-simple-water-cooler-dispenser-set-up.html

Just wondering what you all feel is the most appropriate temperature for an axolotl tank? In searching the threads there seems to be advice that anything under 24 degrees Celsius is okay, but it seems from this thread that the tank should be much lower - in the teens. As we are new axolotl owners and in the middle of the Australian summer, was curious about what is an appropriate constant temp for our two little guys (or girls!) - thanks!

Just wondering what you all feel is the most appropriate temperature for an axolotl tank? In searching the threads there seems to be advice that anything under 24 degrees Celsius is okay, but it seems from this thread that the tank should be much lower - in the teens. As we are new axolotl owners and in the middle of the Australian summer, was curious about what is an appropriate constant temp for our two little guys (or girls!) - thanks!

Axolotls are ok at a temperature range of 10c-20c , as you go above 20c you see more problems occur with water quality and fungus. 20C-22C is not too bad but the higher the temp the more problems . It is not a coincidence that aussies are the biggest posters in the sick axy threads for temp problems, your summers cause a lot of problems with temperature control. 24c should not be recomended for axolotls, it is the absoulute maximum temp they can really tolerate for short periods of time. http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#heat

to whoever voted 24 and up, that's crazy.

Re: Straw Pole: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

where can I get a chiller from? the only ones on ebay are massive and are £250 :(
I pick my axolotls up next week and the tanks still sat at 22c thats with a 16" desk fan propped up blowing into it, ive even tried an ice bottle and its not bringing it down. its got 50ltrs of water in it at the moment but I need to take some of that out (water level too high)

For some reason, I found that regular fans did nothing for the water. I got a $20 aquarium fan from ebay and it drops the temp down by about 4deg :)

For some reason, I found that regular fans did nothing for the water. I got a $20 aquarium fan from ebay and it drops the temp down by about 4deg :)

I've been looking at these. My desk fan does drop the temperature but it takes ages. Glad to know someone found them useful :rolleyes:

My tank has been like 16c all winter and now its shot up to 20c. It's quite hard to keep it cool, well done to all you Aussies keeping yours cool! :happy:

Mine has been around 16 the past couple of days. Im sure my axies are not complaining :) on average it is about 19-20 with our hottest day so far at 21-22 i know that isnt ideal but it was only one day. I have compiled a list of options for when summer really hits but our hottest day so far is what most of the summer is like, so i suspect with a few cheap cooling options i should not need to pull my hair out all summer :) i mean right now we dont even have blinds up, i have a light for the plants and a tank lid on no fans or anything. I suspect i will need to take the lid off and put a fan or two blowing on the water and put blinds up but i think that should be all i need. Though i have more ideas if need be

Ooh, glad I found this post. I haven't gotten my axolotls yet (hoping to have them by next Friday :D), but my aquarium stays at a pretty constant 70F/21C and I'm worried that'll be too hot. I have my crappy desk fan going on it, but the only thing that seems to make the temperature drop any significant amount is putting a quart-size bag of ice in it, and even that only lasts a few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions for long-term cooling so I don't have to worry about my axies overheating while I'm at work?

If it helps, I live in Connecticut so I'll be facing temps in the 80s this summer.

Thanks!

Started out right around 70; took glass hood off and replaced with screen- added chiller fan (4 fans) and now it's down to 62. I have a 40 gallon tank (36x12x18)

Einstein and Blip are in their permanent cycled tank now, in the back half of the garage, at 6 inches above floor level. The single brick walls warm up in the late spring/early summer sun so I'm leaving the partition door open to allow the air to cool at night. The water is now at 62. It went up to 68 when the room warmed up and there was even condensation on the glass when the air temperature was in the 80s.

The tank is on a 6 inch thick wood base with insulation around the back and sides, so any change in temperature takes a while. Hence the condensation, I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's 30°C out here. And it's evening. And it's been raining. It's hot and moist.

On days like these, I'm sooooo happy I have my chiller. During the day it was actually running almost constantly, it barely stopped. I can't imagine how much I would have had to mess around with frozen bottles and such...

The only thing is; the outer side of my tank is now plagued by constant condensation. Ah well, small price to pay for healthy cold axies, no?

My tank is currently running between 15°C and 16°C :)

I would like to say while my tank is currently 25 degrees my axolotls are actually in the fridge!

Since I got a/c my tank stays between 66-70 depending on how hot it is outside/humidity. Night times sometimes get to 64. But i havent noticed any less.

Due to construction today i had the canopy on and a towel on top to keep drywall dust out of my tank. And they turned off the a/c to open windows for ventilation and i was so worried it would get to hot but i came home and the tank was 74. Which i could live with, it didnt take long after i took everything of the tank again and turned the a/c on for it to go down.

My tank is at a solid 21 day and night, Ive turned off the heating in the room, He seems quite happy at this temp, but would this mean he's more active and would require more food? Currently feeding bloodworms every second day

My tank is at a solid 21 day and night, Ive turned off the heating in the room, He seems quite happy at this temp, but would this mean he's more active and would require more food? Currently feeding bloodworms every second day

21C is a bit high, but my tank has stood about that temperature for a few weeks at a time in warmer months and my axolotl hasn't had any problems other than occasional constipation. Warmer water generally means faster metabolisms, so you would probably need to feed your axolotl everyday with the bloodworms. What size is your axolotl? You might want to switch off to earthworms (preferably cut in half if they're big) if he's around 5 inches or so.

60-62 now. Oh how I dread you winter! 66would be perfect for both axies and me. Has anybody else tried to move tank decorations for a water change while the water feels like ice!? When I am already cold to begin with.

My axies tank usually stays around 18C because I can't stand warmer temps inside. If our room temp gets above 72 I get a headache and need to cool down. >.<;

At night when we sleep I crank the AC to under 60, so I doubt our axies ever get too hot. xD

60-64F is probably best(64 is 18celcius)
They can live comfortably up to 12celcius.

And they can live upwards of a month in the fridge at 6celcius in extreme circumstances( i always say if they will die outside of the fridge put them in the fridge whether its due to temperature or infection as they dont tend to live long enough to make it to the vet if you dont put them in thefridge with bacterial infections) at least from experience of people who have had sick axies.

Anything over 23celcius is very dangerous and they can stress and die quickly. Between 12-21 celcius and I would say you are safe. It all depends on time of year and temperature in the home

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back