Question: Straw Poll: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

What temperature is your tank?

• Total voters
Great! I'll check it out!
Awesome.. as I said Marine Depot has it listed for $179... but its a week or so wait till they get stock... still thats where I will get mine

My tank has been about 10c or lower, due to lazy students (me included) not being able to afford to have the central heating on, I've found an old heater from my tropical tank and am planning on increasing the temperature 1 degree every 2 days up to 20 (the lowest setting on the heater). Is this a good idea? Maybe I could keep feeder guppy fry and RCS easier at this temp too?

My 6 axies are outside in an insulated tank and are about 12 to 13 degrees c and they love it eating well.

I run a chiller/heater system best investment ever, especially now the Australian summers get quite hot.
summer temp is a constant 20 +-0.5 winter temp at 18 +-0.5

My tank temperatures are odd,

My little tank in my room = 18 degrees during the day JUST!
but at night it doesnt even go onto the scale as its at 18 and upwards.

So chances are my tank is at 17 in the day and between 10 - 17 at night, its rather cold in the attic :p

However my big tank stays between 17 - 20

and my smaller tank is the same. :) but they are in my other house living room.

right now before icing my tank is 70 *F (21 *C)

I try and keep it 64-65 *F (17-18 *C)

I need to get a chiller soon, as soon as i get $400 lol and find out what size i need...this is going to be a RECORD hot summer apparently :'(
I'll be buying a chiller AND an AC. SO not happy.

My tank right now is 63 degrees. The room he is located in is normally around 68 and then I have a desk fan blowing on the water to evaporate and help cool it. Over the last few days (just got my axie 3 days ago) it has ranged from 60-65 depending on the room temperature at the time.

My Axies are also in an unheated outdoor building and currently around 11c. Over winter they iced over and I added a low wattage heater on a timer to ensure they didn't freeze solid. Once the temperature climbed to 7c they spawned and I have young growing on out there right now. I've got a photo of their tanks with ice on both the top and the sides! It was about the only day when they didn't beg for food..

Re: Straw Pole: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

Seeing as we live in Toowoomba, Queensland in winter our tank temp can sit at 9 degrees so we bring it up to 13/14 with a heater. In Summer it's the ice bottle trick to keep the temp at 18, otherwise we would be stiting at 23/24 degrees(always cold in this town)

i live in melbourne and i have the exact same problems, cold in winter and hot in summer. i had to rotate 10 600ml ice bottles to keep my tank at 18C

530 liters and 19 degrees. They just love it.

Figured out a way to reduce temp..even further with no chiller, dropped from 18 to 14 c. With the same fan in same spot.

Axiekeeper, How did you manage to drop the temp that much with a fan? I am very interested. THanks

the back of my tank is basically one big waterfall, not with crashing water but just a thin sheet of water 3' long and about 3" tall, this thin sheet of water seems to accentuate the evaporative cooling, this tank no fan stays at 18c (temp.taken taken when still hot here)

the temp. measurements were taken in a tank where the spraybar was along entire length of the tank, spraying along the back of tank creating a sheet of thin water before hitting the surface about the same 3" down.

basically much more efficient method of evaporative cooling. If u check out my thread you can see the "waterfall" section and have an idea of what is needed to create the effect.

Thank you so much, I will be looking in to that.

My new juvenile axies are in the porch on the north side of the house (UK!). I chucked a thermometer in yesterday and it showed 16 degrees. They will have to go into the garage in the summer!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

16.2 degrees celsius.

I own a chiller, pretty much a must for keeping axies during the long hot west australian summer.

My tank averages 23C this time of year, and gets down to 17C in winter. Murphey is happy and healthy at 3 years old so I haven't been too concerned, but it feels like this summer is going to be a stinker, so I'll have to start freezing bottles of water for him. Unless I win lotto, then I'll buy him a chiller :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back