Question: Straw Poll: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

What temperature is your tank?

• Total voters

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Daz
Out of pure curiosity I'd just like people to vote what temperature there tank is currently.

I think it will be interesting in knowing what the average temperature people manage to keep their Axies at.

Celcius Fahrenheit

15 59.0
16 60.8
17 62.6
18 64.4
19 66.2
20 68.0
21 69.8
22 71.6
23 73.4
24 75.2
25 77.0

Last edited:
Re: Straw Pole: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

During the winter months I had no problem maintaining 17degree , in the last month or so I have been struggling to keep at 20-21, sometimes dropping to 18-19 during the night although without using ice bottles, fans etc the temp would be more like 24-25...with chiller I think I will set the chiller at 17.

Also if it is possible to edit you should also include Fahrenheit as well as degree in the poll, most international users on here will know that better...

Last edited:
Re: Straw Pole: What temperature is your Axolotl tank right now? (or whenever you left the house?)

Seeing as we live in Toowoomba, Queensland in winter our tank temp can sit at 9 degrees so we bring it up to 13/14 with a heater. In Summer it's the ice bottle trick to keep the temp at 18, otherwise we would be stiting at 23/24 degrees(always cold in this town)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi everyone. My tank is at 19c at the moment. I have a couple of fans over it which brought it down from 23c.
It's a 6ft tank which I got my 4 baby axolotls in, hopefully they are happy in that temp :D

My tank is 21 degrees at the moment, but having just read a few forums, I have popped two camping freezer blocks(the ones to keep the beers cool!) in the freezer, so that I can alternate them to cool my tank down. I am also in the process of a 20% water change that should also cool it a little bit! I'm going to go get some sand to line my tank instead of my set up as I have rocks galore!, to make it more manageable and healthier.

Yay for owning a Chiller haha!

Yay for owning a Chiller haha!

Indeed Blaze, you and stolleman have the coldest Axolotl water in the world (or in this small pole lol).

/me thinks when I upgrade to a larger tank in the future, I may go the whole hog with chiller etc, would take a lot of the worry out of keeping these critters.

With global warming as it is, give it a few more years and we'll be in the 40's here in the UK.

Very worth the money :)

Indeed Blaze, you and stolleman have the coldest Axolotl water in the world (or in this small pole lol).

It has been ridiculously cold in Adelaide over the last few weeks... Record breaking cold spell apparently.

In this weather I don't even have the chiller or the fans running. It's been great for the axolotls, but the guppies have stopped breeding :(

I've voted 18-19 in the spirit of the poll as that is the temperature of my main tank. It's the hottest my tanks have ever been, I usually manage the low teens in a cellar but the door has been open and it has warmed up.

My anti-heat measures in the first instance will be to cut the lights as tomorrow may very hot though probably not in this bit of the country. I've a couple of ice bottles frozen but do not intend to use them yet.

very glad I invested in a chiller, was having trouble keeping the temperature down to acceptable levels in March when I got the axolotl's. Its set at 17 degrees celcius, and it was that warm the other day the tank steamed up lol, covered in condensation.

can I change my vote to 16-17!

I love my chiller

our main tank for the last week has been 13 degrees n we had to put a heater in with our clutch of eggs to bring there temp bck to a nice 18

Temp tends to be around 20C, in the room I have them in (all of my amphibians.) So it's pretty easy to keep them around 18-19C.

I have actually had to add tank heaters in my new critter room! Discovered that without them my tanks drop to 55F. Needless to say I have to change my air conditioning duct work this week or all I will have this winter is popsicles shaped like caudata.

where can I get a chiller from? the only ones on ebay are massive and are £250 :(
I pick my axolotls up next week and the tanks still sat at 22c thats with a 16" desk fan propped up blowing into it, ive even tried an ice bottle and its not bringing it down. its got 50ltrs of water in it at the moment but I need to take some of that out (water level too high)

My tank is a lovely 16c :)
Even being next to a window, the highest temp I've ever got was 17. It's usually 15-17. Very good.

Last I knew it was not quite 19, which is what it tends to hover around in the basement in the day in the summertime when I don't have the fan on. It might have gotten down almost to 16 last night, though.

Thank god the summers pretty much over, today is the first time my tank has dropped below 20 degrees since june/july time! Hopefully the temp will just keep going down over the next few weeks!

Well...I would love to tell you but my tank's thermometer has stopped working right now, but whenever i put my hand in the tank is really cold.....it is good our temp here doesn't get too hot in summer or too cold in winter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back