Question: New Axolotl owner, read plenty (now: diary of Fred's new owner)

Sorry to hear about Mr. Lobo. I like crayfish... but most are aggressive and territorial (some species of blues are not) and wouldn't be a suitable tank mate for an Axolotl. Not that that makes much of a difference. :(

Screw fish, they're just selfish mindless creatures.

They serve a purpose now, to keep that tank cycling... that's it.

If I didn't think they'd hurt him, I'd feed them to Fred.

problem solved,

A mate who loves tropical fish is gonna take them off my hands once I've finished using them for cycling purposes leaving me with a small tank eventually for raising fry perhaps :)

He's even taking all of the gravel off of my hands once removed, saves me dumping it into landfill.

Turns out right in the end.

Awww i love the green spotted puffers :D i was going to get them before i decided to get the axololts but the puffers needed a brakish/marine set up :( so i got axolotls instead :D which im now thinking are even better than the puffers.... :D... Im like you i keep looking for a cheap tank for when my axies grow but just my luck i dont think its going to happen :(.. Great tank though, cant wait to see fred in it :D

I loved the idea of green puffers until i realised they don't puff and that they're actually aggressive and evil.

The worst bit is my GF loved the idea of puffer forever, but after what she saw last night she was in tears, she doesn't even like fish any more, and never wanted them in the first place (shes very sympathetic to my all in impulse buy mentality).

Still they are serving a purpose and I'll look after then until they go to a better home with people who want them. I just can't be fussed with learning all about them when they're pretty boring to me.

Having a spare tank leaves good breeding and of course containment possibilities.

I'm tempted to get Fred a mate when the time is right, and possibly a friend too? There's a whole lot of space for just one axie. Having another tank would be very handy when dealing with illness and injury should they arise over the years.

I suppose now I have a larger tank I should take a leaf out of Tom's book and get a proper chiller too.

You know me, you'll see the pics and be able to follow the entire changeover process as Fred prepares for his new tank. Happy days.

I still love them but they do need alot of specific needs which i can provide, remember to tell who ever you rehome them to to research about them needing a brackish set up and stuff as they are quite hard to look after... But they are really cool fish and have alot of character like little water dogs :p but thats just me i love all fish... And you better keeps us informed on the changeover process or i wont let you rest lol :D... Hmmm a friend would be nice for fred i would be to scared though incase they didnt get along but maybe you would find an axolotl who loves to swim around for you, how is freds swimming lately anyways, as i bet he is a lot lighter :D

You are going to do what most axolotl owners do......one just isn't enough:D

Julia you're right, i just think would maybe appreciate some company.

I'm trying to decide on what sort of sand to use in the big. I like normal yellow sand but I've come across CaribSea Tahitian Moon Black Sand and CaribSea White Marine Sand

Aquarium Sands & Gravels

These do sound cool and there's a pic of the black in the gallery forum looking great.

Anyone got an experience of using these sand with Axolotls? Any particular hazards I should watch out for or will they be fine?

well got my earthworms today and it was less than an hour after getting home before Fred was chowing down.

2 small earthworms cut into bits and he hoovered them up in seconds.

I think he liked them as he appears to be galloping across the front of the tank after :)

He is mental though, since I've taken the grass away and given him the big square area of sand he keeps going to the back of the tank with his face right against the glass walking left and right sweeping his tail.

I think he's chasing his reflection about which is ok, but he must do it so much when I'm at work that he sweeps all the sand away from the edge. Makes a full on hill leaving almost no sand in back corner.

I flatten it back each day and the ritual continues lol.

Either that or the're a loan bloodworm in the corner and he wont rest till he gets it.

Doesn't really matter though, new tank is getting there, half gravel removed and all algea gone. Water is filthy though so may start a bit of replacement, being cautious of keeping the cycle active.

He wont see has reflection against the black backing there as have the cool Bark 3D background to go in. Also going for black tahitian moon sand, some slate tiles and blue lighting.

Gonna look really funky.

That does leave the 60l empty though, which seems a waste. I don't want fish, don't see the appeal unless they're very cool so whats the coolest small critter i could keep in that size aquarium, or perhaps vivarium depending how you look at it.

Is there such thing as mini or pigmy octopus or jellyfish, or maybe some kind of cool glow in the dark seahorse?

lol

I use caribsea super naturals moon sand(white not black) it looks great but it is VERY hard to keep clean...I have no experience with the tahithian but would imagine it would be even harder to clean.

Why not use the 60 as a breeder for shrimp or minnows?

Ok I'll bare that in mind, convenience vs aesthetics. hmmm gonna be a toughy.

As for breeding minnows and shrimps, the thing is, I've discovered I really dislike keeping traditional tropical fish. I don't find them pleasing to look at, and they just don't interest me swimming about.

I'd rather use the tank for something else cool and interesting to pass the time of day, although a massive wormery may be good eco friendly option, lol, but my ice cream tub will do for now.

just a brief update,

I've been had at work on the new tank, trying to get it clean(er) without ruining the cycle, and without killing the fish.

It's been difficult removing the gravel in situ, as it was so deep so much **** under it, that ammonia was rocketing as i disturbed it, however by testing and using dilution I've managed too keep it all within acceptable levels, and I think I'm getting there.

SNV32803.JPG

ok quick question (in case anyone is still reading this thread?)...

I've got the new tank empty (yay) but the fish in there are filthy buggers.

My original plan was to get the tank fully setup with the fish, then remove them and insert Fred, but I really don't wanna lay down all that clean expensive sand for the fish to foul it all up.

Now I've removed 99.9% of the gravel (still working the .1% out of the corners) could I remove the fish, then lay the fresh sand and still have a cycled tank from the bacteria on the walls and filter, and logs etc?

Could I leave the empty tank like that without / with sand for a week or two and the bacteria still survive until Fred makes his leap?

Thanks

It really depends on how many ornaments that you will keep in there. There will probably however be a slight ammonia spike.

If you took the sponge out of freds filter and put it at the bottom of new tank filter things would speed up a lot, of course this would mean Fred moving to big tank straight away which it seems you don't want to do.

There is no problem with putting the sand in after the cycle has re-established, other than cloudy water etc which will subside, did you go with the black sand?

No I havent got the sand yet. I'm still unsure, the black does look soooo nice, and once it's in there's no turning back.

I do like regular sand, and the white caribsea looks nice too (which I thhink you said you had?)

The reason I don't really want fred to go straight in is I wouldn't mind getting the backing cut and fixed, and then the sand laid without there being anything swiming about in there getting stressed out.

Of course the fish are warm water and so there would be a period where it would have to be empty anyway. there are 3 large logs, and i suppose I could put the backing in, with the fish in there, which would allow alot of surface area for bacteria. Then just run with clean sand just before Fred goes in, which would soon become colonised anyway....

I just don't want them crapping everywhere in the new setup. Freds getting angry having to look in there as it is :)

Last edited:
The white sand is hard to clean but I have found using thin airline tubing as a syphon lets me clean the whole surface and only remove a couple litres, it is a little blessing as well I suppose I know the sand is clean, with the black sand I worry you would not see his mess.

Also bear in mind the new tank is much larger so even if you were beginning a brand new cycle with just fred the water volume would dilute the ammonia and nitrite levels. I know you like to be thorough, I do too, but I would say as far as the switch over goes just go with the simplest option, I cant imagine any problems.

I think you're right tom, I've overlooked how much water i have and how little ammonia sources, I'm just going to get rid of the fish and start setting the tank up.

You were so close to convincing me that black wasn't a good idea, then i read in another thread that you actually wanted black but accidentally ordered white :D

Based on all the factors, and that i want a dark tank, I think black is the way to go, If i don't like it I can always spend 4 weeks siphoning it up.

Tomorrow I'm gonna cut the backing, bore some small holes and silicone the suction pads to the backing, them hopefully if my measurements are correct just slot them into the tank. The sand will be here on wednesday / thursday and then that'll go in too.

I'll need a slat tile and a few new ornaments, plus to move the two tanks around and so Fred should be in by the weekend :)

well with all the planning in the world, I'm still gonna have to totally empty the tank.

Just sticking the suckers to the backing didn't work, they came lose. The water pressure and boyancy of the backing just was too much so I'm gonna have to silicone the backing in after all.

I've filled up a large builders bucket with the tank water and have the rocks and logs and the filter all in there, havesting the bacteria. I've just got to totally empy the tank now, dry and clean the back panel and the floor and then I can silicone the backind directly to the back.

The good thing Is I can now hide the aireline tubes behind the backing and also silicone them to the floor to they are fixed nicely in place. He's gonna have a long air wall to the right, a shorter to the left with a disc right outside the front door of his log, so when he fancies a swim he doesn't even need to bother swimming to the surface, he can catch a lift on the air.

I've found that now he's a little lighter, the aeration is the one thing that Fred really loves, he plays in it or just Basques in it for probably 80% of the time it's on. I wonder if he likes the cooling effect of the bubbles.

Anyway the big changeover has begun (the fish are now with a friend) so expect rapid progress over the next week or two.

Exciting times.

I wondered that about the air bubbles too when my tanks get hot they all seem to chill out on the bubbles a lot more

The good thing Is I can now hide the aireline tubes behind the backing and also silicone them to the floor to they are fixed nicely in place. He's gonna have a long air wall to the right, a shorter to the left with a disc right outside the front door of his log, so when he fancies a swim he doesn't even need to bother swimming to the surface, he can catch a lift on the air.

Exciting times.

With reflection I think this is a bad idea, should an airline become damaged or unusable or i just want to change the setup I'd have to rip the backing out. Not cool at £15 a sheet.

I think I'll just tidily run the airlines under the sand, suckered to the floor with them neatly running up the side.

Re: the aeration, I wonder if it's the same effect for them as us sitting in front of a fan?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back