White squiggly worms.

Dnurnberg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I need help with little white squiggly worms 🪱 emerging from my substrate.
What can I do?

Attachments

• 1721783785229510548825195235541.jpg
    1721783785229510548825195235541.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
they look like detritus worms.
they feed on waste ie.. old food, axolotl faecal matter, dead plants etc..
very common in most aquariums.

Those pictures do look like detritus worms. They are harmless but personally I find them unsightly. In a tank with fish the fish would just eat them, but its harder for some of our newt species to get them depending on what you are keeping. The easiest way to get rid of them is to add fish. If you are keeping an axolotl then this is not a great option as the axolotl will eat the fish. For any adult newt, adding a few white cloud mountain minnows will work and they will eat all your detritus worms within a few weeks.

Those pictures do look like detritus worms. They are harmless but personally I find them unsightly. In a tank with fish the fish would just eat them, but its harder for some of our newt species to get them depending on what you are keeping. The easiest way to get rid of them is to add fish. If you are keeping an axolotl then this is not a great option as the axolotl will eat the fish. For any adult newt, adding a few white cloud mountain minnows will work and they will eat all your detritus worms within a few weeks.
Thank you for your response. I also have shrimp. Will they eat them. This is a Newt and shrimp 20 gallon low.

Thank you for your response. I also have shrimp. Will they eat them. This is a Newt and shrimp 20 gallon low.

They will eat the baby shimp if they find them. Generally their mouths are too small to go after the adults.

They will eat the baby shimp if they find them. Generally their mouths are too small to go after the adults.
Will the shrimp eat the worms?
Will the Shrimp eat the worms?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back