Illness/Sickness: what’s up with my little guy?

LemonChildToby

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi so first time posting on here but i saw someone else with a similar issue
my son (axolotl) Spaghetti, has had his mouth open for a few months now and i am just finding out that could be a bad thing.
he is eating fine, he eats earth worms and eats twice a day. he has a tank mate, his brother Meatball (also axolotl) but only recently has his mouth been agape. is he sick or stressed or?
i got him almost a year ago now and i got him from an irresponsible owner, so i don’t know how he was treated as a juvie except poorly. he’s not aggressive and other than his mouth being open he seems fine

Attachments

• IMG_8708.jpeg
    IMG_8708.jpeg
    689.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8270.jpeg
    IMG_8270.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
what are your full water parameters ie... temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh, gh.
what chemicals, minerals, salts, are you using ie.. dechlorinator (make), magnesium, salt, medications etc..
can you post a full body (side view and top view) photo.

what are your full water parameters ie... temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh, gh.
what chemicals, minerals, salts, are you using ie.. dechlorinator (make), magnesium, salt, medications etc..

Attachments

• IMG_7525.jpeg
    IMG_7525.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8335.jpeg
    IMG_8335.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
and i’m getting the water tested tomorrow but the temperature is at 69.4 F right now as it’s quite warm where i am, and the water is declorinated. the last time i got the water tested (~2 weeks ago) everything was in the safe area but i will check again

he doesn't look underfed nor does he look bloated, the gill stalks are short but are full with filaments.
your water temperature is a bit high, try to keep it within the 15°c/59°f-18°c/64°f range, ensure adequate/good water oxygenation.
make sure to turn sand over regularly.
add 2g/l non-iodised salt to the water.
is there any other change in behaviour ie.. surface gulping, scratching at gills/body etc..
ensure a varied/balanced diet ie.. shrimp, mysis, krill, fish etc.. as well as worms.
although acriflavine mixed with methylene blue baths may/should help, inspection by a vet might be required in the case of infection.

okay so
PH - 7.2
nitrite - 0
ammonia - 0.25
nitrate - 10
temp - teetering between 66 and 67 F

his gills were like that when I got him, I got him from a freshman at my school who didn't know how to take care of these guys, one of the other axolotls ate his gills. he isn't showing stress signs, and neither is his tank mate, meatball. spaghetti is eating, moving around, being silly, the only thing that is odd is his mouth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back