Tylototriton verrucosus in the wild (Plus other amphibs) N. Thailand

Of course you are correct John. This thread just enlightens me more that not all Tylototriton verrocusus look the same and act the same. In doing a little looking around on the net I found the same information. I always thought it was easy to glance at an animal and tell if it is a T. verrocusus or T. shanjing.

Great pics and account Chris! I agree with Michael that it adds to my confusion regarding differentiating between certain individuals of verrucosus and shanjing.
Chip

Hi Chris,

I will visit the same area this July. I think I will try to see the animals up on Doi Suthep. Do you experience with that location?

In addition some literature from 2008 (also with the interessting color variation, available online):

Two Distinctive Color Patterns of the Himalayan Newt
Tylototriton verrucosus (Urodela: Salamandridae) Found in Thailand
and Its Implication on Geographic Segregation
PORRAWEE POMCHOTE, PUTSATEE PARIYANONTH
AND WICHASE KHONSUE*

Uwe

Hi Uwe

Thanks for the reference. The name rung a bell and after a quick google, I remember that I did visit Doi Suthep, but only the temple there. I didn't see any animals, but we weren't in the right place to look for them. There was quite a lot of forest, but the temple and the dwellings/markets around it have caused quite a lot of distrubance. Good luck and please post pictures/info of your trip oncde you get back.

C

Hi,

I was in northern Thailand and found myself larvae and adultis of T.verrucosus on the Doi Suthep mountain. A report was given in Gersfeld and small report will be published in "amphibia" 2012.
Interesting would be a comparison of animals from the different mountains in northern Thailand and especially to animals from NE-Thailand.

Picture will be placed in FlickR soon.

Unformtunately the people working in Thailand on this animals are non responding.

Best Regards

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back