Please help me and my Axolotl!

Hiya sorry not been on here for a few days...i have been reading though as i go, just not managed to reply!

Ok in response to Kerry, the reason i havent put him in the fridge, is because he has a little home now, in an old fish tank i found. he basically cannot fit on the fridge, the fridge i have is tiny, if i put him in there i would have to take him out the tank and put him in a little plastic tuppaware box, so i thought because he seems to be doing well and enjoying his new home, he would be ok. I have bought the dechlorinator a couple of days ago and have cleaned him with 100% water changes everyday using it.

When i went to the shop to buy the dechlorinator, i also bought some food which they said they feed the ones in the shop on so to try that. i was a bit worried as he would not eat the frozen bloodworm i was given him. as soon as i put a bit in, he gulped it straight down so i felt so much better as surely thats a really good sign?

ive set up his tank now, all by himself obviously. he has either a log to hide under or a pot that he can sit in, which he does. i still have it barebottomed but may put some sand in tomorrow. I just didnt want to change too much too soon for him. He does seem to be on the mend, thanks to all your advice. I told the guy in the shop i would be caring for him myself until he is well again. the guy gave me a credit note for the inconveinence they have caused to help me on my way with things i will need to buy for him now. which is something i suppose but i have warned him that i will report them to animal care if i hear of other people being sold these lovely little things to people with fish tanks.

So is there anything else anyone thinks i should/should not be doing? How long should i be cleaning him out everyday for? Is it until his gills grow back? Or just until he is settled?

Hi Cheri,

If I may, what sort of food was the petstore feeding him? Although the food may be readily eaten by the axie, it may not be an acceptable staple nutrition wise.

So is there anything else anyone thinks i should/should not be doing? How long should i be cleaning him out everyday for? Is it until his gills grow back? Or just until he is settled?

The gills will take some time to grow back, and you may find they will not regrow to their original standard. Younger axolotls will regenerate faster than adults and the water quality and tank environment play a large part in an axolotl's rate of recovery.

It's a very good sign that he is eating. :happy:

Kerry and Ray have already given excellent advice on the importance of water quality for the axolotl.

I would suggest you obtain a filter if you have not already done so. A filter will aid the cycling process if you opt to cycle the tank. It's strongly recommended that you do so. This article will help you in selecting an appropriate filter for an axolotl (filters).

Axies don't care at all for water flow. If the filter issues a strong current from it's outtake you can either afix a spraybar to diffuse the flow, place an obstruction in front of the flow, or some filters have an adjustable outtake nozzle which can be directed to the tank wall to break the current.

While the tank is in the process of cycling, you need to be doing 20% daily partial water changes to dillute the ammonia levels to an acceptable level for the axolotl. Cycling can take one to three months to complete. Once the cycle is complete, you need only do a weekly partial water change.

This article provides excellent advice on maintaining your water quality for your new friend which ties into cycling.

An uncycled aquarium would require frequent partial water changes (the frequency depends on the size of the tank and how many animals are in the tank. A small tank would need daily changes and would only house one animal, a larger tank every two or three days if one animal, if more than one animal daily changes would be needed) and this would be for the rest of the axolotl's life which can tie the keeper down.

In a nutshell, Cycling makes life a lot easier.

Hi Cheri,

Just some additional notes. You can still continue to offer bloodworms. They are nutritionally balanced for your axie. Variety of food is always best.

I think you have got something confused. You should do 100% water changes only if you fridge your axie in a small tupperware container. If you are not fridging your axie but homing in a new tank, you just need to monitor your water parameters and only perform 20% water change each time while waiting for your tank to cycle. 100% water changes while your axie is in the tank can be stressful to your axie as well and also significantly slow down your tank's cycling process.

Cheers

Hi
Sorry about the problems with Reggie. A third option, if you're loath to send him back to the shop, and struggling to keep him yourself, would be to offer him to another axolotl owner, who might be set up to nurse him back to full strength. Where in the UK are you?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back