My axolotl has black stuff all over here. Please help

Again - personal experience. My leucistic had a skin problem (looked like ammonia burn but all parameters were correct), was floating here and there, swimming frantically and tried to wedge herself in weird places too and refused to eat she snapped and spat. She's on the road to recovery but this is what I did - removed her from tank to separate tank / tub and made sure it stayed cool. 75% water changes daily with dechlorinated water. I also gave her tea baths, although I don't think you have a parasite, you may want to wait to get more advice on this since tea can tighten the skin. And last of all persistence with feeding. I would remove the worm and come back later. I tried in the morning, maybe 3 hours after that, after work/Tafe, and before bed. They were only small amounts she was eating but it got her back on track.

Does your axolotl thrash around or scratch it's gills like it's irritated? And (very gently) can you see if the spots rub off? How is she today?

Also adults can go a bit without food, just keep trying with extra wiggling to entice her .. Mine takes about 5 minutes to snap which is annoying but it's eating!

Good luck

I'm almost starting to wonder if they're blood patches under the skin. Sort of like a bruise, almost. Do you think she may have eaten something nasty by accident and injured herself? Or perhaps she got herself stuck somewhere and bruised herself that way?

I have a weird one as well. Not sure if it's the same thing but I guess it's worth showing in this thread.
My leucistic went from leucistic like we know it to 40% wildtype-ness and 60% leucistic.
When it was pretty hot over here, 1 year ago, the black spots started to develop. They never went away. I also noticed tiny, white dots all over her body. Those were gone after a while and had to do with the water quality during the hot summer days.

But the black spots were still there. And there were getting more on her body and last summer more of them developed. But her lips are still leucistic-like.

I still have no idea what it might be... But the thing is, she doesn't seem to bother it. She's not scratching, there are no signs of redness or bloody patches, she's not feeling stressed or showing any other kind of odd behavior. She just being her cute little self. Not sure if they will go away or that I'll have a lotl like this FOREVER. I don't think that it's something genetic. I had a totally different leucistic and in the same tank the blackness started to develop last summer. (A friend bought that axie). And Chipotl (newest leucistic) is starting to develop freckles as well. It's probably something in the water and I can't find out what it is. Even after all the huge water changes I did, it's still in there.

I hope someone, someday will have the right answer to my question. What is this?

I wanted to share this, just in case it's the same thing. But if this is dark pigmentation on my axolotl, it must be weird if that would develop in an albino axie. If this is just some kind of weird mold or whatever, then it MIGHT be possible. I guess?

Here she is (now the top part of her back is heavily marked as well, but it's just a little in the last picture. Oh and her gills are bigger now):

That almost looks like that funny flat green moss stuff!

I'm pretty sure albino's aren't supposed to get black spots (other than the toes of course) does it look bumpy or flat?

We did a water change again and she doesnt seem so sick anymore. The problem is though that we will not eat at all!! she will take the worm in her mouth and spit it back out.

Also her tail is going very red. I have no idea what to do anymore

Hi Everyone,

Thank you soo much for all your advice and help. We tried everything we could to help her but unfortunately my baby died yesterday.

Thank you again for trying.

:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back