Is high flow actually bad for newts/salamanders?

Captive Bread

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have been keeping my newts aquatically for nearly a year now. I filter the water using a dual sponge filter, but the thing is not cutting it anymore. The flow is just too darn weak to help keep the water sparkly clean and all the while allows cyano bacteria and algae to grow as it pleases. I would like to upgrade the filter to something motorized with flow. I know that's not the general guidance around here, but is it really that much of an issue for a caudate?

Clarity of water is generally a product of regular water changes. Algae is caused by an imbalance between, light, nutrients and nutrient sinks (plants and/or water changes). So a new filter won't fix those issues in the medium term or at all compared to cleaning a sponge filter and just doing large weekly water changes.

That said, my favorite filters for newt tanks are canister filters. I just adjust the flow with ball valves to turn it down.

Is low flow important? Yes, yes it is. If you turn the flow up a bit you will see the newts struggling to swim and you will see all floating stop completely. Plus it can be difficult (depending on your diy abilities) to make a lid that accommodates lily pipes (or whatever) while stopping escapes.

If you want to ditch the sponge filter and make a decent lid, go for it. Just don't expect it to change water conditions.

I had some cyanobacteria and algae issues in my aquatic set up for my marbled newts earlier this summer and I decreased the light cycle time from 12 hours to 8 and that pretty much dealt with that (plus scraping the wall and letting the shrimp/snails eat up the rest). Water quality improved shortly after that.

minorhero raised a lot of good points and I agree with their post overall for what to do. Looking at the video of your tank on the triturus forum you have the plants to deal with the bioload of the set up. However more plants are always good as they can absorb nutrients (especially emersed and floating plants). I think less light time would definitely help with water clarity.

Hi all,

I have been keeping my newts aquatically for nearly a year now. I filter the water using a dual sponge filter, but the thing is not cutting it anymore. The flow is just too darn weak to help keep the water sparkly clean and all the while allows cyano bacteria and algae to grow as it pleases. I would like to upgrade the filter to something motorized with flow. I know that's not the general guidance around here, but is it really that much of an issue for a caudate?
Hello. I have a 20 gallon low filled 1/3 full and use the Tetra Repti-flow corner filter
It filters 90 gallon a minute. Great air flow.
Hi all,

Hi all,

Hello. I have a 20 gallon long with a Repti-filter in one corner. The filter is perfect for the airflow, waterfall, for my 4 newts and 75 + neo- cardinia shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back