Introducing my axolotls

KirbyandMudkip11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
EmmyWmmy
Hello! So I’m trying to introduce my two axolotls to each other. I have my smaller/younger one in a mesh container to get them used to each other. My older axolotl tried to bite my younger one through the mesh and that stressed me out a bunch. Any suggestions on how to proceed with the introduction?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8672.jpeg
    IMG_8672.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 668
  • IMG_8669.jpeg
    IMG_8669.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
until they are older and less likely to hunt/attack each other you will have to separate them with a barrier ie.. large sheet of perspex with holes in for water circulation, try to have each side mirror the other to prevent territorial fighting when they are introduced ie.. couple of hides/caves on each side, a shaded area etc.. make sure both are well fed to reduce fighting over food.

until they are older and less likely to hunt/attack each other you will have to separate them with a barrier ie.. large sheet of perspex with holes in for water circulation, try to have each side mirror the other to prevent territorial fighting when they are introduced ie.. couple of hides/caves on each side, a shaded area etc.. make sure both are well fed to reduce fighting over food.
Gotcha. Mudkip is estimated to be around 3 years old and Kirby is 1 year old. So is Kirby more likely to attack Mudkip? Thanks!

a smaller axolotl will only end up biting a larger axolotl when the movement is confused as being food, a larger axolotl will attack/hunt a smaller axolotl as it will see it as prey/food and no different from any other prey/food, this is why making sure they are well fed is important to reduce the chances of attacking each other.

a smaller axolotl will only end up biting a larger axolotl when the movement is confused as being food, a larger axolotl will attack/hunt a smaller axolotl as it will see it as prey/food and no different from any other prey/food, this is why making sure they are well fed is important to reduce the chances of attacking each other.
Thank you! Kirby got over the barrier I bought when I wasn’t home and was with Mudkip for a bit (I’ve separated them now). Mudkip (adult/larger) kept running into my smaller axolotl (Kirby) and pushing him up on top of him. What does that behavior mean?

axolotls are very awkward animals to figure out, one minute they can be avoiding each other like the plague and the next minute trying to squeeze into the same hide/cave or dog piling each other.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back