IKEA paladarium!

Lilibugz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I’m currently building a paladarium out of an IKEA display case I found on Craigslist!
I’ve managed to get everything siliconed off and watertight but I need help on how to add the ventilation. I have some hole saw drill bits and was planning to create a few holes in the metal top and silicone in some window screen mesh or something similar. Would this allow sufficient air flow?
The future inhabitants will be a few Amazon milk frogs and I read that these guys need pretty good air flow so I’m a bit worried this won’t be enough. Any ideas or advice will be appreciated!

One idea to consider might be to drill just two holes, mesh them, and place a computer fan over the intake. This could grant you far greater control over airflow. For example, you can add the fan to a smart plug and/or connect them to a hygrometer to automate the airflow as needed. It would also allow you to account for seasonal fluctuations and adjust quickly if you notice something like excessive condensation or mold.

Jasper is a smart man and one of my favorite geological formations too! I did something similar but probably wouldn't recommend the same material I settled for it was a cheap plastic l.e.d cover. I was able to make 3 10g lids and there was a bunch of small textured indenentations in the material which made it easy to use a 1/8 in. Drill bit. I couldn't even tell you how long it took to drill enough holes to get the proper ventilation but the plastic was so thin if you put a little too much pressure the entire lid would crack. It still does what it's intended to but I think if I did it again I would put the extra few dollars towards a thicker mill plastic maybe even acrylic. I too put a fan on my 2 lines enclosure once a week to help circulation since there's a waterfall feature the humidity usually stays around 60%

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back