Filtration set up.

evelyn_003

Reaction score
Country
United States
This weekend I redid my tank set up. I had left the curtains open a couple of days and the water turned a tad green so I just did a deep clean with diluted vinegar. I then added all the “furniture”, sand (fine enough that it won’t hurt them but I also got a feeding tray to put their food on so they aren’t inhaling sand), slate, and Java fern. I’ve noticed the water getting a tad cloudy and green even though I have poster boards blocking it from sunlight. I’m using a tetra 40 gallon filter. I was wondering if anyone had tips about filter setup that would work well. Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!

(Left image is tonight, right is a couple days after setting up)

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpeg
    IMG_2815.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
why is your tank only filled half way? the less water the higher the nitrogen compounds get.
fit a lid to prevent escapees/jumping, axolotls have a bad habit of trying to jump out.
is the tank cycled?
your tank/filter need cycling before adding axolotls.
tank size and cycling dictate on suitability of filter, filter should be at least double tank size and able to remove 4ppm ammonia per day as well as any nitrites.
barley straw extract can be used in a plantless tank to reduce algae, plants will out compete algae for nutrients, regular water changes will reduce nutrients.

why is your tank only filled half way? the less water the higher the nitrogen compounds get.
fit a lid to prevent escapees/jumping, axolotls have a bad habit of trying to jump out.
is the tank cycled?
your tank/filter need cycling before adding axolotls.
tank size and cycling dictate on suitability of filter, filter should be at least double tank size and able to remove 4ppm ammonia per day as well as any nitrites.
barley straw extract can be used in a plantless tank to reduce algae, plants will out compete algae for nutrients, regular water changes will reduce nutrients.
Thank you so much. Do you have any suggestions for lids. My tank is a 40 gallon breeder and the lid it came with rusts really easily. That’s why I don’t have it on. I have cyled the tank. I do need to finish filling it up though. I only had so much time to do so and then college got really busy and I was never in my room long enough to do so. I’ll get on that tomorrow. I didn’t know that about the double filter size. I will get a second one immediately. It also seems that the water has cleared up nicely on its own. Thank you so much for all the advice.

most people use egg crate, although anything can be used to prevent jumping.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back