Field herping in OR/WA

Jonnayz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey y'all!
While I've been on the forums for many years and have been herping casually for 25+ years, I'm looking for suggestions for decent spots! Most of my go-tos these days end up being off-limits, overcrowded, or plainly just a ways out. Any suggestions (public or private) for areas with good species diversity? I've been looking for Ensatina but so far have gotten skunked every time, don't know if it's time of year or where I'm looking. Also willing to tag along on any trips happening soon! I live in Portland, so anything within an hour or two drive of that is very achievable.

You'd probably appreciate my site on hiking and wildlife viewing opportunities in Columbia County, immediately west/north of Portland. There's a heavy herping emphasis.

I've always found it a lot more productive to look for particular habitats than to name particular spots. Ensatina can be found in any forest with downed wood, but they seem to prefer Douglas Fir quite a bit over hardwoods. They're typically not near streams or ponds - other species tend to outcompete them there. Season is essential - they tend to be found in the rainy parts of fall and spring and start becoming scarce by late spring. You won't find many in temperatures under 40 or over 80, or if there was a hard frost the night before, or if it hasn't rained recently. If conditions and habitat are right and you search long enough, it seems almost impossible not to find them. We documented 100+ sites in Columbia County alone, spread across every single part of it other than the river bottomlands.

In terms of finding access to land, pretty much any city or state park with natural habitat is good, you just have to stay away from peak recreation hours. If your schedule limits you to those hours, then look on Google Earth for forest habitat and just drive it until you find a legitimate access point. Many logging companies allow people to walk the lands they own (Weyerhaeuser specifically forces you to buy a permit first though), you just have to check the gates on the logging road to see what the rules are for that particular plot. An application like OnX will tell you who owns every plot of land without having to drive there.

Feel free to ask about any other species you're interested in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back