Question: Egg bound axolotl - help needed

What an odd case. You are going to inject the Axie with the meds? Perhaps she doesn't think there are any suitable areas in the tank to lay the eggs? Try putting plastic plants in? Anything to get those eggs out.

That is good to hear, i am surprised that most people on the fourm didnt think it was related with the eggs. (Not trying to be mean). lol
I had no idea what it could have been, seeing that i dont even own one yet! ha lol.

Hope she gets better, even tho she is pretty cute all fat and plump! :p

I don't believe it. Female axolotls carry unfertilised eggs all of the year. They are not reptiles. No offence, but I wouldn't trust most vets who try to try to deal with amphibians as far as I could throw them. You might want to tell your vet that axolotls don't have eggs behind their front legs. This axolotl either has a severe digestive tract blockage, or it's suffering form an organ problem leading to edema. I am not a vet, but I've seen a heck of a lot more sick axolotls than your vet has.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but the medication prescribed induces ovulation - doesn't that mean create more eggs? How is that going to assist an axolotl already overloaded?

Thank you for updating as this could prove a valuable resource to someone else. I do hope you have found a way to provide this poor baby with some relief.

Hi,

I had problems with my computer, so I couldn´t answer yesterday.:(

Pardon me, but I don´t agree to your vet. Is your vet familiar with amphibians, specially with axies? :confused:
Not layed eggs would be absorbed by the body. Axies permanantly produce (and absorbe) eggs.

Your axie is full of water, I´ve written 5 days ago - I didn´t know the word in English, but John used it: edema. Edema results in malfunction of the kidneys. It´s an organic problem, mostly effected by a bacterial infection. Your axie needs antibiotics and fridging ASAP, or she will die.
Pardon me for those hard words, but I´ve seen lots of axies looking the same way like yours.:(

I would say, you should look for a vet, who is familiar with amphibians.

Tina

Hi bikertj1981,

Did your vet happen to give you the X-rays? Maybe what he interpreted as eggs were the axolotl's [possibly enlarged] organs?

Today is Thursday and I guess you will begin with the injections. I fear the results of this treatment. Maybe if you told your vet what has been written here, or seek a second opinion?

-Eva

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but the medication prescribed induces ovulation - doesn't that mean create more eggs? How is that going to assist an axolotl already overloaded?

Thank you for updating as this could prove a valuable resource to someone else. I do hope you have found a way to provide this poor baby with some relief.

I see ovulation as the eggs moving from ovaries to uterus ( at least in mammals) or thats what i have always been told.

Anyway no sign of the meds in the post called vet to check they were on there way but looks like it may be next week now.

As for some people saying the vets are wrong and was it actually a vet who knows about amphibians - this was the only vet I could find who knew what and axolotl was and apparently the best vet within 200 miles. So i guess i will just have to see how things go!

Hi TJ,

Yes, exactly - so what is the vet's reasoning for having her produce even more eggs if he is seeing all these eggs in her x-ray? Does he know it is normal for axolotls to carry eggs all the time as John stated?

I was questioning his logic in my previous post and still do. You said he is experienced with amphibians, but how familiar is he with axolotls in particular? Do you have access to these x-rays? I know that's a long shot, but Blueberlin raises a very good point.

As for the people here saying the vet is wrong - John is the reason this site exists and has been studying axolotls for many years. He says eggs are not possible - therefore, not possible. The other folks out here like blueberlin, Bellabelloo, and Callina, to name a few, all agree that it can't be eggs - they are very experienced with axolotls specifically. Please do not dismiss these guys because of this vet. He may very well be a very knowledgeable vet, but these people KNOW axolotls inside and out.

I know that the vet is far from you, but it could be of benefit for him to see these posts or for these guys to see the x-ray. We all care about each and every axolotl and just want to see yours better. Thank you for posting your case and for updating, I am sure you will help someone in the future and let's see if we can work together and have a happy conclusion! Take care of your girl...;)

Bikertj is just trying to do the best he can. Lets all just pray for the best and wait it out. :)

My Axys life history; i got her as an egg a little over 4 years ago. she matured and laid 3 lots of eggs the first season. the second season she become large and laid loads of eggs and returned to her normal size. her gills started to degenerate very slowly so i didn't really notice for some time then nothing for 2 years until last december when she become even larger. she then laid 10 eggs only. i continued to monitor her and sort some advice from a different website who told me to cool her and wait and see. a couple of months later and here we are. In all the time i have had the axys nothing has changed in how i look after them. they are cleaned out and fed the same. The only problems other than the recent one was a fungal infection to their gills a few years ago which i treated sucessfully.

Hopefully that answers everyones questions?

I appreciate everyones comments and i will let you know how things pan out.

Have you got her medicine yet?
I hope she gets better.

Mel

Finally got medication today (serum gonadotrophin) to stimulate her to lay eggs. Injected it 15mins ago will keep close eye on her and let you all know.

I've been waiting to see news on this thread! :happy: I hope all goes well ~ I can't believe the size of your poor baby! :(

UPDATE;

no change as yet, shes had her two doses with no real effect. Called vet to inform him and just had a reply.

He says his sure the retained eggs is the main problem but this may have affected her osmoregulation. He has told me to give her a third and larger dose tomorrow. I'm also supposed to attempt "milking" her in an attempt to release some of the eggs so she can lay the rest herself.

If this is unsuccessful he says it is time for the last resort which would be and operation to remove the eggs. This has a risk of 50/50.

Well thats if for now will give you updates as they happen (probably the end of the week)

Awww i hope she gets better soon.
I wouldn't actually try 'milking' her you may hurt her.
If it is eggs, and if they are not coming out of their own accord something needs to be done.

Hope she feels better soon!

Mel

sorry, having pc troubles today.

UPDATE;

no change as yet, shes had her two doses with no real effect. Called vet to inform him and just had a reply.

He says his sure the retained eggs is the main problem but this may have affected her osmoregulation. He has told me to give her a third and larger dose tomorrow. I'm also supposed to attempt "milking" her in an attempt to release some of the eggs so she can lay the rest herself.

If this is unsuccessful he says it is time for the last resort which would be and operation to remove the eggs. This has a risk of 50/50.

Well thats if for now will give you updates as they happen (probably the end of the week)

Hi bikertj1981,

I apologize now for any rudeness I seem to exhibit when writing this next. However, I hae been trying to keep my peace and let things take their course, but I am honestly amazed that your poor pet has hung on to life so far and honestly couldn't sleep quietly tonight if I don't write something now.

Your poor girl is not suffering from egg retention. This problem simply is not possible with axolotls. It happens with reptiles and, I believe, chickens, but not axolotls. Your girl is suffering from organ failure, which is releasing gas and/or fluid into her body. An ovulation stimulant can only be worsening the problem. "Milking" her will only hurt her more and an operation will only serve to show your vet that he was wrong, give him visible confirmation that the organs are extremely distressed.

Your vet "had a look and took an X-ray". He should have taken a culture from a smear from her cloaca (sorry, I don't know what it is called in English) at the very least.

I honestly have no advice at this point, and if anyone does, I hope they offer it. I would have just sat here, waiting for your death report, but the fact that your lil' girl is still alive has got me cheering for her. I beg you either to get a second veterinary opinion or as your vet to check for systemic disease. Oh, what's it called? Sepsis.

In any case, I have never seen an animal in such obvious distress as yours that lived as long as yours has. I really am rooting for her. I wish her every luck, and urge you again to try and get a second opinion.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Eva

This is a post that could have done with one of our vets advice.
I agree with Eva. As far as I am aware an axolotl does not tend to retain eggs, she will absorb them naturally.I hate to think what the medication may be doing to her, I fear your vet is treating her as a reptile. As John said quite early on , she is exhibiting signs of organ failure and retaining fluid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back