Question: Do I have an axolotl or a tiger salamander ?

My mom kill the worms for me because I could never take a living worm in my tweezers and seeing them already makes me sick. I have pellets since the first day and have tried them but he doesn't eat them, I have tried almost everything and he only eats earthworms, he refuses everything else. He is slowly starting to look like a normal axolotl, I figured out he didn't look like one because his gills, tail and limbs have been chewed up by others at the petshop, poor thing :(
Now it's the albino one who's causing me some major problems so if anyone is interested in helping me, I posted in the "sick axolotl" part...
Anyway, here is a picture of them, the one on the left is when I got them about 15 days ago and the one on the right is two days ago :)

Attachments

• SI_20140604_132409.jpg
    SI_20140604_132409.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 247
  • SI_20140604_132219.jpg
    SI_20140604_132219.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 213
They are looking much better! Gills are growing back, they are filling out a bit. How is the wildtype's tail doing?

His tail is doing fine, he's having pigments in the tip of his tail now :) Slowly but surely growing, he was about 6 cm 3 days ago, he is probably a little bit longer today :)
No one have answers for my other post about my albino?.. :(

Some pictures from today, he didn't really took any weight since I have got him, I hope I'll see a difference with other kind of worms.
Do not despair - he really is gaining weight. His tiny tummy is definitely wider than in your first photos. Pay attention to your water changes - 20% or so every day or every second day until you are absolutely certain your tank has cycled (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 40 or below). Temperature should be 16 to 19 degrees celcius. Keep it below 20 degrees.

Congrats on the improvement of your little wildy! I'll head over and see if I have any helpful advice for the albino.

Thanks everyone! :) I'll try to take some pictures of his belly to see if he has gained weight

Hi everyone, if anyone is interested I took some pictures today of my tiny baby, he is looking way better each day :)
He still has weird looking feet but that doesn't matter haha :p
The first one is a little before from when I got him and after, which is today, and the others ones are from today :)
He still refuses anything else than earthworms and dried shrimp ( as a treat ) but at least he's eating !

Attachments

• SI_20140610_135200.jpg
    SI_20140610_135200.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 190
  • SI_20140610_134936.jpg
    SI_20140610_134936.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 178
  • SI_20140610_140845.jpg
    SI_20140610_140845.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 176
  • 20140610_140344_Ingrid.jpg
    20140610_140344_Ingrid.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 213
He looks a tonne better :)

Wow!!! Well done, you've done a great job! He looks awesome.

My three all eat Earthworms live ,they love being hand fed or I put some in their tanks and they hunt them ,yours do seem very skinny ,that's why this forum is awesome ,cause you get really good advice ,hope this helps :)

Thanks everyone, without this forum he wouldn't look like this, I'm proud of this little guy ( or girl ) :D

He doesn't need anything apart from earthworms, so if that is pretty much all he will eat (apart from occasional shrimp), that is not a problem. Earthworms are the best and most balanced diet for adult axies.
My axie has grown back his hind leg, and the new toes on that foot are slightly webbed too.

The little axolotl looks great. Good job helping him/her heal up.

I guess I have no other choice than sticking with earthworms for him :p
Yeah, he has an "upside down" arm in the front, so it looks like he is waving at me all the time and on the back he has a feet with three littles toes and on one of the toes there is a tiny tiny toes growing on it, I can post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing his weird feet haha !
I thought the younger they were, the better they were regrowing their limbs but he is just so special! :D

I'd definitely like to see his tiny toes! He sounds like a unique axolotl. I am happy to see him getting better.

For sure he is a really special lotl!
Here are the pictures, first one is his weird little feet that I was talking about, then the other one shows his upside down front leg, he was posing with dirt on his face so don't judge haha :D
Then some pics of his little face because he had a cheeky little smile, and last but not least, with his partner in crime :p
Thanks to everyone who's paying attention to his development, pictures are from a few days ago

Attachments

• SI_20140616_183656.jpg
    SI_20140616_183656.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 263
  • SI_20140614_134120.jpg
    SI_20140614_134120.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 188
  • SI_20140614_150430.jpg
    SI_20140614_150430.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 214
  • SI_20140614_134739.jpg
    SI_20140614_134739.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 203
Looks like a completely different axolotl, good job! That crooked hand is quite a cute little deformity :)

Aw it really does look like he's waving. I hope it doesn't bother him, though he does look much happier now.

Yeah I think it looks cute too that he's waving all the time. It looks like it's annoying him sometimes, like it often get stuck behind his gills but he doesn't have any other choice than living with it :)

You really do have two of the most adorable axies! Love their cute little smiling faces and those gorgeous feathery gills are absolutely magnificent. They are truly wonderful little beasties. :D No wonder we find our lotls totally irresistible. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back