Axolotl Costume

What is? My instructions? It's nuthin!

My mum sews, I sew as i have to be able to due to my shortness meaning i have to constantly shorten trousers so they are the right length... I also do cross stitch so *shrug*

I can sew up holes in stuffed animals :D and that's about it haha

That is awesome! I was thinking of how I could turn a hoodie into an axolotl head/costume. So neat to see someone else has already done this!

Lol is this serious? If so, it sounds intriguing! (Love the costume, by the way. That's what I call dedication to your pets! :p)

yes this is for real. it is for a play called a very short history of the world, Barbara Neale. its about a group of school students on a history project and they meet a talking axolotl

The costume was pretty easy to make. I made the hood/ head part our of felt- but you could probably use a hooded seatshirt. I wanted the darker grey- which is harder to find in sweatshirts.

I cut out the gills from felt and glued red feathers in between the pieces for the gill frills. Then glued those onto the hood and added eyes and a big red felt smile to the face.

The tail- I cut a big long rounded triangle shape out of a large piece of felt and then folded it over before I glued it with fabric glue and stuffed it with random scraps I glued on the fin fabric. To make the fin I just laid my tail piece on top of the fin fabric ( a shiny gauzy fabric) and traced around the tail in the shape of an axie fin. Then I cut it out and glued it to the top of the tail and the bottom (where it is folded over you can put the fin fabric in there. Glue it all together and let it dry. I used a fabric stiffener spray for the fin so it would stand up. The fabric was delicate so the spray was perfect. I also cut out little feet shapes and used valcro to attach them around my legs. I also used sparkly gold craft glue to make the sparkly axolotl spots. Then I attached the tail to the bottom of my grey shirt (sewed it on) and attached the rest of the fin part to the back of my shirt with glue. And TA DA its done. If anyone needs any more help or maybe a diagram just let me know. :-D

Oh! Fabric glue! I didn't even think about that :D

Makes it super easy! Haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back