Aquarium Chiller Issue [In tropical country]

Quandaledingle2005

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello guys! I was just wondering why my Daeil Fish Cooler DBI-050D (DBI-050) is struggling to cool down my 30 gallon tank (46 inches long) of my axolotl. I am using a quite weak pump as it says in its manual that its flow rate should be between 1.85/2.64 GPH (however, I may have misunderstood that).
Screenshot 2024-09-09 234435.png

With that being said, my temperatures change very slowly as it takes 1.5-2 hours for the chiller to bring 1 degree down. I also have installed foam insulation at the back and the sides of the tank and also a rubber hose insulation for the hose of the chiller yet the problem still persists. Furthermore, it won't even reach the desired temperature of 18 degrees. It works just fine back then as I have a 20 gallon tank (with an exceedingly stronger pump), however, when I upgraded to my current overall setup I noticed this problem. What can I do? Should I change the pump? What are your recommendations for it, if ever? Or should I lower my water levels to 20 gallons?

the flow rate does seem a bit low (7-10 lph), because you are using a weaker pump the flow rate into the tank might be to low (the pump has to force the water out of the tank through the chiller then back into the tank, most pumps have a max height) unless the chiller is level with the tank the pump may be struggling.
a more powerful pump can always have the flow rate reduced where as a weak pump can't be increased.

ok so does this mean that the temperature in this tropical country is not much an issue? i should just replace my pump with a stronger one despite the manual's specifications? thank you for answering 😁

if you are using the same pump as the 20 gallon tank and it is struggling to reduce temperature a bigger chiller may be required, however if you have reduced pump size whilst increasing tank size the pump might not be able to push the water through fast enough to reduce temperature.
use ice bottles to reduce tank water temperature (don't cool it too fast though, around 1° per hour max) then see whether the chiller will stabilise and keep the water temperature constant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back