Rate my salamander setup.

AronW

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an enclosure I’ve made for my Ambystoma laterale based on information I could find on the species. (Not sure what type of moss it is, just used the kind in my yard near where I found the salamander) (I have removed the water bowl after the picture was taken, by recommendation of someone on a different forum.)
0CF31907-45F6-4330-98F7-1E43A13EC379.png
51A3DEFF-ED8F-4E2A-883C-8771755DD2EF.png

Cool, ive always wanted A. Laterale. I’d love to keep all ambystomids if I could!

I have a couple of suggestions.
The enclosure could be larger. They do like to roam around at night. They also will climb and explore in live plants.
The moss looks wet. While they do need moisture, they should not be wet at all times. With a larger enclosure, you could more easily create areas that are relatively dry vs wet. The addition of leaf litter would help retain moisture.
There is no reason to remove the water bowl. This species will enter the water and soak.
It should have more and better hiding places. The issue with the pot is that it isn't tight against the ground, leaving the salamander to feel exposed. They like narrow and tight spaces. I would use pieces of bark and rotted wood instead of the pot.

the moss is called Hair-cap Moss. I agree with @Herpin Man a larger tup like 16qt would work better, more floor space works well. (A 6qt is used for my isopod beginner culture) Some wood, leaves and some open dirt would work great!

I have a couple of suggestions.
The enclosure could be larger. They do like to roam around at night. They also will climb and explore in live plants.
The moss looks wet. While they do need moisture, they should not be wet at all times. With a larger enclosure, you could more easily create areas that are relatively dry vs wet. The addition of leaf litter would help retain moisture.
There is no reason to remove the water bowl. This species will enter the water and soak.
It should have more and better hiding places. The issue with the pot is that it isn't tight against the ground, leaving the salamander to feel exposed. They like narrow and tight spaces. I would use pieces of bark and rotted wood instead of the pot.
the moss is called Hair-cap Moss. I agree with @Herpin Man a larger tup like 16qt would work better, more floor space works well. (A 6qt is used for my isopod beginner culture) Some wood, leaves and some open dirt would work great!
Thank you all for helping me out! I’ll do my best to follow your instructions, as far as larger tanks go, I don’t have much money and can’t afford to buy a bigger aquarium, I also don’t have much room. Is that a problem or will he be ok in the tank he’s in until I can buy a better one in the future?

Thank you all for helping me out! I’ll do my best to follow your instructions, as far as larger tanks go, I don’t have much money and can’t afford to buy a bigger aquarium, I also don’t have much room. Is that a problem or will he be ok in the tank he’s in until I can buy a better one in the future?
He’s okay in what he’s in, just upgrade when you can.

This is the blue spotted salamander(Ambystoma laterale), and it looks to be a female.. my pictures aren't under the right lighting conditions but my pair look very similar to yours
This is an enclosure I’ve made for my Ambystoma laterale based on information I could find on the species. (Not sure what type of moss it is, just used the kind in my yard near where I found the salamander) (I have removed the water bowl after the picture was taken, by recommendation of someone on a different forum.)View attachment 86168View attachment 86169

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back