Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Folded Tip of gills over course of days? (NOT STRESS)

gizmoanimalpuker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I am new here and I would love to get some help on this.
Tank info:
Temp 5 gallon bin with daily 100% water changes
Ph:~7.0
Ammonia: under .25 at all times
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Tank:
Coffee mug for a hide
Thermometer Probe
Temp: 59 - 65 at all times Usually around ~62
So I have had my axie for about a month and a half. He settled in quite well and has always been friendly, had some issues switching him onto worms but I have that figured out now. The other day I noticed one of his gills had a fold going backwards towards the rest of his body at the very tip, not curling due to stress a fold __/ Kind of like that but maybe not as severe an angle. I looked around for a while and couldn't find anything on anything like that so I thought I would keep an eye on it as I didn't notice any strange behavior. The next day I noticed another one of his gills had that same little fold in it, still no weird behavior but I did more research and have not been able to find anything. Today I celebrated charismas all day, didn't get a good look at him this morning so I don't know exactly when but now a total of 4 gills have that fold in it. No weird behavior, still acting friendly and hungry as normal. I am so lost, I cannot find a single other post about similar issues, he doesn't seem to be stressed as he's acting normal and no curled tail, he's still eating as normal, his gills are still their regular floof apart from the fold, I even asked ChatGPT and it just suggested a few things like water parameters and harmful tank decor which aren't the case because parameters are good and there's not really anything in there to hurt himself with, much less back to back on 3 separate occasions. Do you guys have any idea what it could be? Literally any suggestions would help. Thank you so much, feel free to ask me anything if you have any questions.

Attachments

• AxieDay1Part1.jpg
    AxieDay1Part1.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 600
  • AxieDay1Part2.jpg
    AxieDay1Part2.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 39
  • AxieDay1Part3.jpg
    AxieDay1Part3.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 38
  • AxieDay3Part1.jpg
    AxieDay3Part1.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 48
  • AxieDay3Part2.jpg
    AxieDay3Part2.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 42
  • AxieDay3Part3.jpg
    AxieDay3Part3.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 39
ensure there is adequate water oxygenation, add an air stone.

ensure there is adequate water oxygenation, add an air stone.
Thank you, I added one and left it running for a little under a day, and now one of my axie's gill tips has turned white, Just the very tip. I saw him in the morning and he was fine, then I Started the airpump, went to work, got home about 8 hours later, and boom white gill tip. It doesn't look like fungus, but I'm giving him a tea bath just in case it ends up being something. Do you have any idea why this could be? 1st pic right when I got back at around 9, second pic right now at 1:47 AM :/ I have found very few mentions of other people having their axie's experience the same thing, also very rapidly onset, but also nothing about what it is or really anything about how to treat it.

Attachments

• WhiteTip1.jpg
    WhiteTip1.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 44
  • WhiteTip2.jpg
    WhiteTip2.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
because fungal infections damage the gills reducing blood flow white tips can be a sign of infection.

because fungal infections damage the gills reducing blood flow white tips can be a sign of infection.
Alright thank you I will start treating him with salt baths and a tea bath occasionally. Is there any usual cause of fungal infections while still tubbed? He's in a big 5 gallon tub with 1-2 water changes a day along with me removing any noticeable particulates, usually followed up with a water change. Is there a usual cause? Either way your help has been great thank you so much for your help!

just like algae fungal spores most likely travel through the air, rather than doing a salt bath which can be stressful due to the high salt level add 3.5g/l non-iodised salt the the water used to contain your axolotl, once an traces of fungus has gone reduce salt levels to 2g/l, this will prevent future recurrence.
look into 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate, info here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

just like algae fungal spores most likely travel through the air, rather than doing a salt bath which can be stressful due to the high salt level add 3.5g/l non-iodised salt the the water used to contain your axolotl, once an traces of fungus has gone reduce salt levels to 2g/l, this will prevent future recurrence.
look into 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate, info here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
Ok I will look into that thank you so much, Is there a specific version of the recipe you recommend? I have also seen suggestions for methylene blue which I know can also work, I am considering this but it may take a few days to arrive so I was looking for alternatives and I have seen that API Pimafix is also supposed to treat fungus but I haven't seen any examples of it being actually used on axolotls. I have seen a few claims from a few places but I won't do anything until I actually see it being used. I could run down to get some today or tomorrow but have your heard much on it one way or the other? I am about to do a bit more research on it after I make dinner. What are your thoughts on methylene blue vs that vs holtfreters's solution? I have never personally made holtfreter's solution before but I am willing to try but it may take me a while longer than I would like to gether the supplies.

I tend to use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate as standard, the only issue I have found with using it is that plants aren't very tolerant to the salinity.
as to methylene blue vs holtfreters, methyline blue is a medication that can be used for a wide variety of issues but can't be used either in the tank due to being anti-bacterial nor can it be used long term (as in day after day week after week etc..) holtfreters can be used in the tank and as long term, as well as fungus holtfreters helps treat and prevent issues such as osmotic edema and anaemia which axolotls can suffer if not in correct type of water as well as helping treat injuries and wounds.
there are pros and cons to using both, holtfreters is more of a long term solution where as methylene blue is short term, although methyline blue will treat some issues that holtfreters can't due to methylene blue being an anti-bacterial and also an oxidiser, for example.. holtfreters will help prevent nitrite poisoning where as methyline blue will treat nitrite poisoning.

Last edited:
I tend to use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate as standard, the only issue I have found with using it is that plants aren't very tolerant to the salinity.
as to methylene blue vs holtfreters, methyline blue is a medication that can be used for a wide variety of issues but can't be used either in the tank due to being anti-bacterial nor can it be used long term (as in day after day week after week etc..) holtfreters can be used in the tank and as long term, as well as fungus holtfreters helps treat and prevent issues such as osmotic edema and anaemia which axolotls can suffer if not in correct type of water as well as helping treat injuries and wounds.
there are pros and cons to using both, holtfreters is more of a long term solution where as methylene blue is short term, although methyline blue will treat some issues that holtfreters can't due to methylene blue being an anti-bacterial and also an oxidiser, for example.. holtfreters will help prevent nitrite poisoning where as methyline blue will treat nitrite poisoning.
Hm ok I looked into it more these last few days I think I will try the Methylene blue just because it can be antifungal and antibacterial and I'm not really sure what exactly the issue is. He still seems to be acting totally normal, so I would like to give him a bath or two then see if that does anything. If not then I'll look into the recipe for holfreter's more and figure out how to get all the ingredients. I do want to ask if the white spot does look like fungus to you though, cuz it really doesn't look like it to me, it looks like maybe the tip of the gill died or something and I read that can happen, I don't really know what could've caused it but it could be damage considering the other gill is folded but still doing fine. (What do you think the cause of the fold is?) Because it showed up after I got home from work one day, so the fold itself was very rapidly onset, and now both the little gills seems to be less in their usual shape but the white spot doesn't really look like fungus to me.

because your axolotl is leucistic the white tip can just be an area of reduced blood flow, erring on the side of caution would be wise though, also whilst in tub/container make sure to feed at night and clean in morning to reduce ammonia build up.

because your axolotl is leucistic the white tip can just be an area of reduced blood flow, erring on the side of caution would be wise though, also whilst in tub/container make sure to feed at night and clean in morning to reduce ammonia build up.
Yes that's what I've been doing for a month an a half now, I am wondering though, is the reduced bloodflow thing something that could persist like it has been? From the tons of research I've done I have seen that it can happen to all of the gills, even just the tips but then when the axolotl starts moving again the gills go back to normal, His gill tip is still white, I think it may be getting slightly better but it's hard to tell, Also what do you think of his gill fold on the middle right of his head? That one hasn't gone white at all and all the little filaments seem fluffy but it developed within the course of one of my work shifts and seems to be healthy apart from that, but I just don't know what could be causing it, especially because the white gill tip did develop within 24 hours of me noticing that fold.

even though the gills are vital to an axolotls health it isn't unusual for them to develop bends/curves and even growing branch like growths in some cases, the main issues that are a concern when it comes to gills are.. gill regression: this is when gills start shrinking due to either bad water parameters or toxins in the water, frequent surface gulping is noted, gills are described as if filaments have fallen off with stems becoming short and stumpy... fungus: this is quite common although some axolotls seem to be more vulnerable then others,fungus is described as like cotton wool or snot.. gills curled/bent forward: this is mostly done when there is a lack of adequate oxygenation, frequent surface gulping is noted, the bend tends to be closer to the stem root as if to cover face.

Thank you, I added one and left it running for a little under a day, and now one of my axie's gill tips has turned white, Just the very tip. I saw him in the morning and he was fine, then I Started the airpump, went to work, got home about 8 hours later, and boom white gill tip. It doesn't look like fungus, but I'm giving him a tea bath just in case it ends up being something. Do you have any idea why this could be? 1st pic right when I got back at around 9, second pic right now at 1:47 AM :/ I have found very few mentions of other people having their axie's experience the same thing, also very rapidly onset, but also nothing about what it is or really anything about how to treat it.
Columnaris is a gram-negative aerobic bacteria found exclusively in fresh water. When looking at it under a microscope, the bacteria "stack" on top of each other, end to end, forming the columns that lend it its name. It is ever-present in bodies of water. Your healthy axolotl is probably floating in water with Columnaris in it right now! It is opportunistic and infects axolotls with weakened immune systems- usually due to stress due to temperature swings, warm water, ammonia/nitrite spikes, high nitrate, or pH swings. Providing clean and stable water parameters is the best way to prevent infection.

What does Columnaris Look Like?

Columnaris presents as a cotton-ball like growth typically found on the gill stalks of otherwise healthy axolotls. Since it thrives in O2 rich environments, the gills (or sometimes mouth of animals with lungs or labyrinth organs) is usually the first point of infection. The color of the growth ranges from translucent white to a more opaque off-white color. The growth will have long stands of "fiber" woven together. Just like looking at a cotton ball or tangle of sting, it will be hard to tell where one strand starts and another stand begins. This texture a clear indicator that you are looking at Columnaris, not a fungus.

What does Columnaris do to the Body?

If treatment isn't started at the cotton-growth stage, Columnaris can cause lesions on gill tissue or surrounding skin, enter the blood, and cause systematic infection. It can also damage the gills to the point that they cease to function. Once in the body, Columnaris can infect any organ. It can cause kidney failure leading to water and waste buildup in the sick axolotl's body. This will make the axolotl look like it is bloated. If allowed to get to this point, death is likely.

How do I treat Columnaris?

The best treatment for Columnaris is clean water and nutritious food. Remove the axolotl from the tank and into a hospital tub with water treated with Seachem Prime. (The ammonia-bonding property of Prime is important when you don't have a cycled filter for your hospital tubs!) Perform a 100% water change every 24 hours. Offer a nutritionally complete food like an earthworm or pellet. Do not be surprised if at first your axolotl does not eat in the hospital tub.

After you axolotl is in its hospital tub, you need to figure out and fix the environmental factors that lead to infection in the first place. Has your cycle crashed? Is your pH out of control? Is your temperature too high? If you do not correct the problem in the tank, chances are your axolotl will be infected again after returning to its tank.

That's it. No baths, no medication. Most of the time, clean water will allow you axolotl's immune system to fight off a Columnaris infection. If you optionally want to add a small amount of tannins to the water -tannic acid creates a hostile environment for Columnaris to grow in- brew some tea. This can be made with 100% pure black tea, Indian almond leaves, or oak leaves. Let this tea cool in the fridge, and add a small amount to the hospital tub and to your water change water at the same time you add your dechlorinator (before the water change!) The water should be slightly tea stained- not dark brown. This is not a tea bath. The axolotl will stay in this tannin-water 24/7 while in the hospital tank. Remember: the aim is to create a hostile environment for the bacteria to grow. You cannot achieve that in a 10-minute bath.

If the axolotl's immune system is not able to fight off the infection within a few days of being quarantined, you may need to resort to medication or baths.
Ok I will look into that thank you so much, Is there a specific version of the recipe you recommend? I have also seen suggestions for methylene blue which I know can also work, I am considering this but it may take a few days to arrive so I was looking for alternatives and I have seen that API Pimafix is also supposed to treat fungus but I haven't seen any examples of it being actually used on axolotls. I have seen a few claims from a few places but I won't do anything until I actually see it being used. I could run down to get some today or tomorrow but have your heard much on it one way or the other? I am about to do a bit more research on it after I make dinner. What are your thoughts on methylene blue vs that vs holtfreters's solution? I have never personally made holtfreter's solution before but I am willing to try but it may take me a while longer than I would like to gether the supplies.
Columnaris is a gram-negative aerobic bacteria found exclusively in fresh water. When looking at it under a microscope, the bacteria "stack" on top of each other, end to end, forming the columns that lend it its name. It is ever-present in bodies of water.

Your healthy axolotl is probably floating in water with Columnaris in it right now! It is opportunistic and infects axolotls with weakened immune systems- usually due to stress due to temperature swings, warm water, ammonia/nitrite spikes, high nitrate, or pH swings. Providing clean and stable water parameters is the best way to prevent infection.

Columnaris presents as a cotton-ball like growth typically found on the gill stalks of otherwise healthy axolotls. Since it thrives in O2 rich environments, the gills (or sometimes mouth of animals with lungs or labyrinth organs) is usually the first point of infection. The color of the growth ranges from translucent white to a more opaque off-white color. The growth will have long stands of "fiber" woven together. Just like looking at a cotton ball or tangle of sting, it will be hard to tell where one strand starts and another stand begins. This texture a clear indicator that you are looking at Columnaris, not a fungus.

If treatment isn't started at the cotton-growth stage, (which is what it looks like based on your photos) Columnaris can cause lesions on gill tissue or surrounding skin, enter the blood, and cause systematic infection. It can also damage the gills to the point that they cease to function. Once in the body, Columnaris can infect any organ. It can cause kidney failure leading to water and waste buildup in the sick axolotl's body. This will make the axolotl look like it is bloated. If allowed to get to this point, death is likely.

The best treatment for Columnaris is clean water and nutritious food. Remove the axolotl from the tank and into a hospital tub with water treated with Seachem Prime. (The ammonia-bonding property of Prime is important when you don't have a cycled filter for your hospital tubs!) Perform a 100% water change every 24 hours. Offer a nutritionally complete food like an earthworm or pellet. Do not be surprised if at first your axolotl does not eat in the hospital tub.

After you axolotl is in its hospital tub, you need to figure out and fix the environmental factors that lead to infection in the first place. Has your cycle crashed? Is your pH out of control? Is your temperature too high? If you do not correct the problem in the tank, chances are your axolotl will be infected again after returning to its tank.

That's it. No baths, no medication. Most of the time, clean water will allow you axolotl's immune system to fight off a Columnaris infection. If you optionally want to add a small amount of tannins to the water -tannic acid creates a hostile environment for Columnaris to grow in- brew some tea. This can be made with 100% pure black tea, Indian almond leaves, or oak leaves. Let this tea cool in the fridge, and add a small amount to the hospital tub and to your water change water at the same time you add your dechlorinator (before the water change!) The water should be slightly tea stained- not dark brown. This is not a tea bath. The axolotl will stay in this tannin-water 24/7 while in the hospital tank. Remember: the aim is to create a hostile environment for the bacteria to grow. >>You cannot achieve that in a 10-minute bath<<

If the axolotl's immune system is not able to fight off the infection within a few days of being quarantined, you may need to resort to medication or baths.

Ok, so, I found the beginning of this post on Reddit, but as a hobby hepetogist, I do know a lot of information on aquatic reptiles, and noticed the bacteria right away from your photos.

Also, you don't need alot of water or tea mixture in the hospital tub.

I use Smart pH balanced Water, (can be pricy but worth it, if you love your newt) and just enough water to cover your little buddy, depending on the sickness, the smaller the hospital tub, I find the better, as long as your little guy has leg room.

I also put little to no decorations in the hospital tub, and my one decoration{not from the contaminated tank, of course} is usually a cut piece(big enough to wrap around my pet) from a cleaned cloth (flannel/or Jersey knit cotton[tee-shirt]) soaked in the clean pH balanced water or tea mixture, use your dampened hand or a glove to move your axolotl, as using the cloth in the old water can tranfer the bacteria, the axolotl can breathe and live outside of water for up to an hour, drying him out for a bit isn't going to kill him, but it might stress him out a bit, which is fine, also depends on your relationship with him..

I don't know how often you physically handle your axolotl with your hands, but try to transfer him with the least amount of contaminated water as possible...

As the post said, you're trying to create an environment your axolotl can survive in but not the bacteria.

If the tea water isn't working try my method of slowly mixing 1/8 teaspoon of ZooMed's Reptivite Reptile Vitamins without D
{found at PetSmart} (a photo of a salamander on the front of it, but it says it's safe for all amphibians, and reptiles) mix that small amount (1/8tsp) to a full one-litre bottle of room temperature Smart pH balanced water and use that as hospital tub water, not all at once just enough to cover your buddy.

Also, pulling your tank apart and cleaning everything inside and outside is a MUST, use a bathtub if the tank is too big, for a sink.

Disconnecting and unplugging all electronic components, lights, filters, air stones, than begin by rapidly boiling all decorations (plants/rocks/stones/etc) in a pot with tap water for fifteen-twenty minutes,(doesn't matter if there is chlorine in the tap-water as it will be boiled off after 15 minutes) let everything cool down to room temperature(this is when I put a lid on the pot and wait 2-3hours-anything melted from the hot water could be replaced) while cleaning the main tank inside, outside, and than inside again, and once more.

You can clean your tank with hot tap water(especially if it contains chlorine, as this will kill any bacteria left anywhere within the tank... I wouldn't use any types of soap, just the hottest water your hands can handle.

I like using my hands so I can feel every inch of the tank and to feel if there is a slime or grime, I also rinse the outside of my tank and I do this three times, first with hot water, than cooler, than cold water, after I take a few cups of Smart pH balanced Water and use my hands making sure every inch of my tank is cleaned/rinsed** this water gets dumped after**... >>This deep-clean cleansing process should actually be done with anyone who ownes an aquatic pet every six months<< (I do mine spring and autumn because my salamanders hibernate during winter and I don't like to disturb them during that time.. I know they are in my tank but it looks empty)

depending on your tank size & set up this process this can and will take a chunk of your day, many days, or longer.

Keep in mind your axolotl should say in the hospital tub for at least a week with 24 hour water changes, and close monitoring, so you will have a lot of time to clean the tank within this period.

Remember the hospital tub is just a temporary tank. Don't keep it in direct sunlight, and if it's plastic be sure to poke some holes along the top, it should also have a lid.

I hope 🤞 to hear back from you with updateds and maybe pictures of your adorable axolotl.

❤️
Salamander_Mummy

P.S.
I attached a photo of my hospital tub for my sick Sally, last year, this is her after twelve hours in reptivite vitamin water, after I realized her heart was beating a mile a minute(she was basically stoned on reptile steroids), I dumped all the medicine filled water from the medical tub and re-added only fresh bottled SmartWatwr pH balanced and she molted a day after I took this picture, I have a video(of her stoned on the reptile steroids) and the rest of their album on Facebook. I actually shocked her system to heal her and make her healthier.

I always buy multiple bottles of SmartWater pH balanced, one I always use with the ZooMed's reptivite reptile vitamins without D, the other I use to clean items down or add as regular living-in water for my fresh water species.

🦎

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704295934556.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704295934556.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 33
Columnaris is a gram-negative aerobic bacteria found exclusively in fresh water. When looking at it under a microscope, the bacteria "stack" on top of each other, end to end, forming the columns that lend it its name. It is ever-present in bodies of water. Your healthy axolotl is probably floating in water with Columnaris in it right now! It is opportunistic and infects axolotls with weakened immune systems- usually due to stress due to temperature swings, warm water, ammonia/nitrite spikes, high nitrate, or pH swings. Providing clean and stable water parameters is the best way to prevent infection.

If treatment isn't started at the cotton-growth stage, Columnaris can cause lesions on gill tissue or surrounding skin, enter the blood, and cause systematic infection. It can also damage the gills to the point that they cease to function. Once in the body, Columnaris can infect any organ. It can cause kidney failure leading to water and waste buildup in the sick axolotl's body. This will make the axolotl look like it is bloated. If allowed to get to this point, death is likely.

That's it. No baths, no medication. Most of the time, clean water will allow you axolotl's immune system to fight off a Columnaris infection. If you optionally want to add a small amount of tannins to the water -tannic acid creates a hostile environment for Columnaris to grow in- brew some tea. This can be made with 100% pure black tea, Indian almond leaves, or oak leaves. Let this tea cool in the fridge, and add a small amount to the hospital tub and to your water change water at the same time you add your dechlorinator (before the water change!) The water should be slightly tea stained- not dark brown. This is not a tea bath. The axolotl will stay in this tannin-water 24/7 while in the hospital tank. Remember: the aim is to create a hostile environment for the bacteria to grow. You cannot achieve that in a 10-minute bath.

In winter weather temperatures, axolotls slow down their blood flow and take in more oxygen through their skin. More than 20 days at temperatures below 40F(4.5C) can be fatal. If the temperature hits freezing. If your location is having winter, it's a good practice to mimic it in your tank
The Zoo Med's Reptivite Vitamins is cheaper and more convenient..(see my previous post or private message)

also in winter weather temperatures, axolotls slow down their blood flow and take in more oxygen through their skin. More than 20 days at temperatures below 40F/4.5C can be fatal. If the temperature hits freezing.

Does your home city/town/province/state get snow ?

You have to somewhat mimic the outside temperature to reflect the seasons, inside your tank, that might mean stressing your newt out but if he's healthy enough he'll come back around...

In the wild, they endured stress all the time, and a lot of people leave their tanks the same year round when in the wild water levels as well as temperatures will go up and down, having a year round tank set to the same temperature can mess with yours newts natural amphibians sense ...

Stress the little guy out, he might not eat for a bit but remember he can go up to twenty days in almost freezing water.

I would put him in a smaller hospital tub/tank any cleaned out food grade container that's he thing
Ok I am new here and I would love to get some help on this.
Tank info:
Temp 5 gallon bin with daily 100% water changes
Ph:~7.0
Ammonia: under .25 at all times
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Tank:
Coffee mug for a hide
Thermometer Probe
Temp: 59 - 65 at all times Usually around ~62
So I have had my axie for about a month and a half. He settled in quite well and has always been friendly, had some issues switching him onto worms but I have that figured out now. The other day I noticed one of his gills had a fold going backwards towards the rest of his body at the very tip, not curling due to stress a fold __/ Kind of like that but maybe not as severe an angle. I looked around for a while and couldn't find anything on anything like that so I thought I would keep an eye on it as I didn't notice any strange behavior. The next day I noticed another one of his gills had that same little fold in it, still no weird behavior but I did more research and have not been able to find anything. Today I celebrated charismas all day, didn't get a good look at him this morning so I don't know exactly when but now a total of 4 gills have that fold in it. No weird behavior, still acting friendly and hungry as normal. I am so lost, I cannot find a single other post about similar issues, he doesn't seem to be stressed as he's acting normal and no curled tail, he's still eating as normal, his gills are still their regular floof apart from the fold, I even asked ChatGPT and it just suggested a few things like water parameters and harmful tank decor which aren't the case because parameters are good and there's not really anything in there to hurt himself with, much less back to back on 3 separate occasions. Do you guys have any idea what it could be? Literally any suggestions would help. Thank you so much, feel free to ask me anything if you have any questions.
Just for the record I am not suggesting that anyone freezes their axolotl as freezing crystallizes the cells of the animal's body, and as the animal tries to move, these crystals damage the internal cells.

It is very very important that changes in temperature don't happen too quickly.

I would bring the tank temp down to 55F

Columnaris is a gram-negative aerobic bacteria found exclusively in fresh water. When looking at it under a microscope, the bacteria "stack" on top of each other, end to end, forming the columns that lend it its name. It is ever-present in bodies of water.

Your healthy axolotl is probably floating in water with Columnaris in it right now! It is opportunistic and infects axolotls with weakened immune systems- usually due to stress due to temperature swings, warm water, ammonia/nitrite spikes, high nitrate, or pH swings. Providing clean and stable water parameters is the best way to prevent infection.

If treatment isn't started at the cotton-growth stage, (which is what it looks like based on your photos) Columnaris can cause lesions on gill tissue or surrounding skin, enter the blood, and cause systematic infection. It can also damage the gills to the point that they cease to function. Once in the body, Columnaris can infect any organ. It can cause kidney failure leading to water and waste buildup in the sick axolotl's body. This will make the axolotl look like it is bloated. If allowed to get to this point, death is likely.

That's it. No baths, no medication. Most of the time, clean water will allow you axolotl's immune system to fight off a Columnaris infection. If you optionally want to add a small amount of tannins to the water -tannic acid creates a hostile environment for Columnaris to grow in- brew some tea. This can be made with 100% pure black tea, Indian almond leaves, or oak leaves. Let this tea cool in the fridge, and add a small amount to the hospital tub and to your water change water at the same time you add your dechlorinator (before the water change!) The water should be slightly tea stained- not dark brown. This is not a tea bath. The axolotl will stay in this tannin-water 24/7 while in the hospital tank. Remember: the aim is to create a hostile environment for the bacteria to grow. >>You cannot achieve that in a 10-minute bath<<

Ok, so, I found the beginning of this post on Reddit, but as a hobby hepetogist, I do know a lot of information on aquatic reptiles, and noticed the bacteria right away from your photos.

I use Smart pH balanced Water, (can be pricy but worth it, if you love your newt) and just enough water to cover your little buddy, depending on the sickness, the smaller the hospital tub, I find the better, as long as your little guy has leg room.

I also put little to no decorations in the hospital tub, and my one decoration{not from the contaminated tank, of course} is usually a cut piece(big enough to wrap around my pet) from a cleaned cloth (flannel/or Jersey knit cotton[tee-shirt]) soaked in the clean pH balanced water or tea mixture, use your dampened hand or a glove to move your axolotl, as using the cloth in the old water can tranfer the bacteria, the axolotl can breathe and live outside of water for up to an hour, drying him out for a bit isn't going to kill him, but it might stress him out a bit, which is fine, also depends on your relationship with him..

I don't know how often you physically handle your axolotl with your hands, but try to transfer him with the least amount of contaminated water as possible...

As the post said, you're trying to create an environment your axolotl can survive in but not the bacteria.

If the tea water isn't working try my method of slowly mixing 1/8 teaspoon of ZooMed's Reptivite Reptile Vitamins without D
{found at PetSmart} (a photo of a salamander on the front of it, but it says it's safe for all amphibians, and reptiles) mix that small amount (1/8tsp) to a full one-litre bottle of room temperature Smart pH balanced water and use that as hospital tub water, not all at once just enough to cover your buddy.

Also, pulling your tank apart and cleaning everything inside and outside is a MUST, use a bathtub if the tank is too big, for a sink.

Disconnecting and unplugging all electronic components, lights, filters, air stones, than begin by rapidly boiling all decorations (plants/rocks/stones/etc) in a pot with tap water for fifteen-twenty minutes,(doesn't matter if there is chlorine in the tap-water as it will be boiled off after 15 minutes) let everything cool down to room temperature(this is when I put a lid on the pot and wait 2-3hours-anything melted from the hot water could be replaced) while cleaning the main tank inside, outside, and than inside again, and once more.

You can clean your tank with hot tap water(especially if it contains chlorine, as this will kill any bacteria left anywhere within the tank... I wouldn't use any types of soap, just the hottest water your hands can handle.

I like using my hands so I can feel every inch of the tank and to feel if there is a slime or grime, I also rinse the outside of my tank and I do this three times, first with hot water, than cooler, than cold water, after I take a few cups of Smart pH balanced Water and use my hands making sure every inch of my tank is cleaned/rinsed** this water gets dumped after**... >>This deep-clean cleansing process should actually be done with anyone who ownes an aquatic pet every six months<< (I do mine spring and autumn because my salamanders hibernate during winter and I don't like to disturb them during that time.. I know they are in my tank but it looks empty)

depending on your tank size & set up this process this can and will take a chunk of your day, many days, or longer.

Keep in mind your axolotl should say in the hospital tub for at least a week with 24 hour water changes, and close monitoring, so you will have a lot of time to clean the tank within this period.

Remember the hospital tub is just a temporary tank. Don't keep it in direct sunlight, and if it's plastic be sure to poke some holes along the top, it should also have a lid.

I hope 🤞 to hear back from you with updateds and maybe pictures of your adorable axolotl.

❤️
Salamander_Mummy

P.S.
I attached a photo of my hospital tub for my sick Sally, last year, this is her after twelve hours in reptivite vitamin water, after I realized her heart was beating a mile a minute(she was basically stoned on reptile steroids), I dumped all the medicine filled water from the medical tub and re-added only fresh bottled SmartWatwr pH balanced and she molted a day after I took this picture, I have a video(of her stoned on the reptile steroids) and the rest of their album on Facebook. I actually shocked her system to heal her and make her healthier.

I always buy multiple bottles of SmartWater pH balanced, one I always use with the ZooMed's reptivite reptile vitamins without D, the other I use to clean items down or add as regular living-in water for my fresh water species.

🦎
Use the Indian tea mixture for axolotls as the ZooMed reptivite has copper in it, which can be harmful for axolotls due to high copper levels...ask a aquatic vet for other medicine options

even though the gills are vital to an axolotls health it isn't unusual for them to develop bends/curves and even growing branch like growths in some cases, the main issues that are a concern when it comes to gills are.. gill regression: this is when gills start shrinking due to either bad water parameters or toxins in the water, frequent surface gulping is noted, gills are described as if filaments have fallen off with stems becoming short and stumpy... fungus: this is quite common although some axolotls seem to be more vulnerable then others,fungus is described as like cotton wool or snot.. gills curled/bent forward: this is mostly done when there is a lack of adequate oxygenation, frequent surface gulping is noted, the bend tends to be closer to the stem root as if to cover face.
So here's the thing, I've been giving him tea diluted tea baths for extended periods of time like the other member posting here has suggested, and I'm just not sure what's going on, both the gill fold and white spot seem to be better and worse on different days, Neither are progressively getting worse, maybe they're getting slightly better, but it's just difficult to know what's going on because the fold appeared very quickly and doesn't seem to really be affecting my axie in any way, then a day or two after the white spot appeared very quickly too and while I think that gill stalk has regressed slightly initially, it hasn't continued to regress and his other gill stalks look very healthy and haven't regressed. I definitely don't think that it's columnaris or a fungus, as it just hasn't progressed, nor does it look at all like what's described, It's not fuzzy or even seem like anything growing, it just seems the tip has died and it may be getting slightly better but I would expect an issue that small to have been dealt with their regenerative abilities by now. I haven't treated with methylene blue yet but I do have it, but I do want to save it for if things get drastic, but like I said things don't seem to be progressing. Is there anything else you would guess than some sort of fungus or bacteria?

❤️
Salamander_Mummy

P.S.

🦎
Thank you for your comments, I don't believe it's any kind of fungus or bacteria as it was very rapidly onset, the water quality has been good, it hasn't progressed, and it doesn't seem to be an external growth, he seems healthy other than maybe a bit of wilting on that one gill which I'm not sure exactly what caused that. I have been giving him tea baths in the style you said and have been keeping an eye on him and he seems fine, I just don't know what caused his gill fold or his white spot. Do you have any other ideas as to what it could be?

You're axie could have damaged his gill unintentionally, and the regeneration process does not happen over night. It actually takes quite some time for the stem-cells in the animal to regenerate specific parts/limbs of their body.

{One of my salamanders lost a toe, and it has taken a long time to grow back [They are both mole salamander's currently 8.5 weeks into their winter hibernation, I won't know how much has grown back until they emerge in spring] The other one had his tail damaged pretty bad during summer and he still has a small dent in it, but he was moving it a lot more right before winter than he was when it first happened.}

As long as your tank is out of direct sunlight, the temperature is within axies range, pH is balanced at 7, water is free of toxins, he's eating all meals without problems, and the gills aren't forward facing he should be fine.

What do you use to test your water ?

Also do you have a water filter or a air stone ?

I re-read your beginning message and just had a couple of questions.

Also, Axolotls will tolerate less than 2 mg/l of Total Ammonia/Nitrogen. That is the green 2.0 ppm (ppm = mg/l) on your API test sheet. As for nitrite, Axolotls will tolerate less than 0.5 mg/l. Beyond these levels, you will start to see Ammonia burns and damage to the Axolotl's gills.

If the ammonia/nitrogen and nitrite levels were any higher at some point it could have caused what you're seeing on his gills.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back