Question: White thing in my CFB's mouth

kotusz

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Hi!
One of my chinese firebelly newt has a small white thing in his lower jaw. It looks like a small white piece of gravel.
I wasn't able to make a photo, but i saw it when he tried to eat. I have put him into a quarantine tank, and now he eats less than before.
Could it be some kind of fungus, or disease? or it's just his tongue?? :confused:
I did not see the same thing in my other newts mouth.

I hope somebody can help me in this.

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without a good pic! But keep it where you go, still watching him to see the development of it and also to see if it changes its behavior is reporting what you see and in the meantime if you take a picture.

It sounds like its tongue to me. Newt tongues normally sit flat in the lower jaw but when they feed they use the tongue to trap and help swallow prey. It can expand, move and look very much like a white fleshy blob in the mouth. When terrestrial the tongue will actually protrude, stick to prey and drag it into the mouth. To the naked eye it looks a lot like a small white blob flicking out of the mouth.

The lack of feeding may just be due to the stress of being moved around. If it was a piece of gravel the newt is more likely to spit it out rather than swallow it. However, accidents do happen and you should make sure the substrate is of a suitable size to avoid impaction risks.

It sounds like its tongue to me. Newt tongues normally sit flat in the lower jaw but when they feed they use the tongue to trap and help swallow prey. It can expand, move and look very much like a white fleshy blob in the mouth. When terrestrial the tongue will actually protrude, stick to prey and drag it into the mouth. To the naked eye it looks a lot like a small white blob flicking out of the mouth.

The lack of feeding may just be due to the stress of being moved around. If it was a piece of gravel the newt is more likely to spit it out rather than swallow it. However, accidents do happen and you should make sure the substrate is of a suitable size to avoid impaction risks.

I was able to make a photo!!
He opens his mouth very frequently , however my other 3 newts does not, So I couldnt see into their mouth to compare them. And I believed that this white thing is abnormal.
I assume You are right and its just his tounge, because he moves it when he eats.
But to be sure please tell me if you can see anything abnormal on the picture.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7085.jpg
    IMG_7085.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 3,937
Just the tongue. Nothing to worry about there.
It looks a bit thin, though, you might want to try and fatten it up, specially if you´´ve acquired them recently.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back