White stuff floating on the top of the tank

MuGuiKeu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!

A few days ago, I noticed a thin white layer floating on the top of my aquarium water. I did tests of amomiac, nitrates and nitrites. Everything is normal. In addition, I change each week about 20% to 25% of the water. There is no sand / gravel and nothing has changed in the aquarium decor for several months. My axolotls do not seem to be inconvenienced by this substance. It is the first time that I observe it. However, I would like to know what it can be, how to solve the problem and if it is dangerous for the health of my axolotls.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 6,027
  • Tank 2.jpg
    Tank 2.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 2,622
Hmm.. not sure, never seen it before but try taking a net to the stuff and see if its skin or something that could be coming off the axies?

When in doubt, i would do a tank clean anyway. Run the filter under hot water, make sure it's not the culprit, it could be some sort of buildup?

Hmm.. not sure, never seen it before but try taking a net to the stuff and see if its skin or something that could be coming off the axies?

When in doubt, i would do a tank clean anyway. Run the filter under hot water, make sure it's not the culprit, it could be some sort of buildup?
No,

Dont do that, washing your filter under hot water will kill any beneficial bacteria on it and your cycle will crash. You would have to start cycling your tank from scratch.

Assuming you have cycled tank now.

You can do water changes and maybe more surface agitation something that will break surface.

What kind of filter you have?

Yeah, Ideally you're right.

But, the only reason I suggest cleaning the filter good is that it could be regurgitating whatever the white stuff is, potentially causing some sort of backup. I used to have an old filter that would always back up if I didn't clean it out every so often. Got so annoying that I ended up switching all of my filters to another brand.

Yeah, Ideally you're right.

But, the only reason I suggest cleaning the filter good is that it could be regurgitating whatever the white stuff is, potentially causing some sort of backup. I used to have an old filter that would always back up if I didn't clean it out every so often. Got so annoying that I ended up switching all of my filters to another brand.

It is most likely a protein film.

And filter cleaning should be done regularly, just not in the wrong way you are suggesting here. You always want to keep the established beneficial bacteria on it. So washing it into some tank water you are changing anyway or always keeping one filter mat clean and one that is not there and just change it up every time you do a clean.

In this case surface agitation will solve this, or a skimmer if you want to spend a buck more.

And filter cleaning should be done regularly, just not in the wrong way you are suggesting here. You always want to keep the established beneficial bacteria on it. So washing it into some tank water you are changing anyway or always keeping one filter mat clean and one that is not there and just change it up every time you do a clean.

In this case surface agitation will solve this, or a skimmer if you want to spend a buck more.

Protein film! that's the word i was thinking of before. For the life of me, couldn't remember it. heh.

I don't know, because there's a tank divider and I have the same problem on both side (the side with the filter and the one without it). On the filter side, there was too much agitation, so I had to break the flow by putting an ornament under it (but the flow still strong). I use the same filter (Whisper filter) in 2 other tanks and I use this brand for several years and never got that white stuff. I bought the filter in the tank with the white stuff few months ago and there were no problem before.

Also, when I touch the surface of the water, the white liquid stuff becomes white threads :confused: It makes me even more confused...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills... +1
    Back