Weird axolotl eating habits?

Lyv3wyr3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so. I have a copper axanthic axolotl and they (they're only like 6 months old) have been giving me a lot of trouble eating. They eat pellets really well, but where I like it's easier to feed the worms. They eat black worms fine, and blood worms too, but when I give them an earthworm (They are probably 2 1/2 mm thick and 3cm long and I always cut their head off about an hour before I feed them. I'll explain why in a minute) they always chomp on it then spit it out and chomp again. They do this with all their food, dead or alive. At first, I was feeding live worms, and I thought that the reason they did this was that the worms fought too much, so I started killing the worms first. But they still are having this problem of spitting food out.

I do water changes once to twice a week, and I tested their water out today and it's the standard 0ppm, 0ppm, 6ppm, there's not a lot of water flow, and I've even tried feeding in a separate tub. Because of how they eat they rarely eat a healthy amount (then again I may just be so used to my big boy having a really big appetite). they're not skinny, but they're not exactly fat either and I just love them so much and I'm so worried because their gills aren't super frilly.

Attachments

• owo.jpeg
    owo.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,855
Okay so. I have a copper axanthic axolotl and they (they're only like 6 months old) have been giving me a lot of trouble eating. They eat pellets really well, but where I like it's easier to feed the worms. They eat black worms fine, and blood worms too, but when I give them an earthworm (They are probably 2 1/2 mm thick and 3cm long and I always cut their head off about an hour before I feed them. I'll explain why in a minute) they always chomp on it then spit it out and chomp again. They do this with all their food, dead or alive. At first, I was feeding live worms, and I thought that the reason they did this was that the worms fought too much, so I started killing the worms first. But they still are having this problem of spitting food out.

I do water changes once to twice a week, and I tested their water out today and it's the standard 0ppm, 0ppm, 6ppm, there's not a lot of water flow, and I've even tried feeding in a separate tub. Because of how they eat they rarely eat a healthy amount (then again I may just be so used to my big boy having a really big appetite). they're not skinny, but they're not exactly fat either and I just love them so much and I'm so worried because their gills aren't super frilly.
When mines were that age and size, I had to cut earthworms into 4 to 6 pieces in order for them to eat. If the pieces were too thick, they’d spit it out. Eventually, they were able to take a third, then a half, and now they can do a whole earthworm…I’m sure they’re fine.

When mines were that age and size, I had to cut earthworms into 4 to 6 pieces in order for them to eat. If the pieces were too thick, they’d spit it out. Eventually, they were able to take a third, then a half, and now they can do a whole earthworm…I’m sure they’re fine.
Okay. Cool. I've cut them up before but they still just spit them out. But whatever. Maybe Honeypie is just dramatic XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back