Question: Water Temperature Fluctuation !

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just moved my axolotls from my old house to my new house a week ago. At the old house the AC was on so the tank temperature was constantly between 68-70 degrees F. The axolotl.org website said the temp had to be below 74 degrees F. So I believe this temp was ok...and their behavior was fine, never problems or lack of eating or anything.

Now at the new house, it does not have AC and the water temps have been majorly fluctuating in the tank! When we first moved here it was still a little hot outside and we had to place a fan constantly blowing above their tank. That kept the water temp. below 70 degrees F. But now, its been getting fairly cold in the house during the day and cooler at night. The water temp has been going from 70 F down to different degrees at night and it even reached 60 F!

I went to the pet store today to have my water checked (and its finally cycled!!) and the pet store worker said my water was freezing! She said its really not safe to have the temps fluctuating so often. I know that axolotls can be in cooler water but I didn't know what to do about the fluctuation of temps all day. So I bought a fully submersible heater. The lowest setting is 68 F. It is supposed to keep the water temp permanently at 68 F. Since this is about what my tank has been at since I first got them, I thought that would be fine.

Is this okay?? If not, what are other solutions to deal with the temps changing all day??

You'll get some natural fluctuation between night and day, and between seasons. Are you monitoring the water temperature, or the air temperature? Water is much slower to cool and heat than the air is.

And 60F is just fine. I try not to let mine dip below 40F, though. If you do want the heater, I suggest REALLY monitoring it, to make sure it doesn't get above 68.

So you say that fluctuation is normal but dropping from 70F to 60F in less than one day is okay?

Not necessarily. But I don't understand why your tank would do that. Does the temperature in your house drop that much? And water is usually fairly slow to lose heat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back