Water depth for larvae

A

aaron

I've asked several people how deep they keep water for larvae, and have gotten several answers anywhere from 2-8 inches. I used 8 inches for my pyhhogaster last year, and they did fine. What do you use?

Thanks,
~Aaron

I have had good results with all the species I have brought up from eggs, with around 6inches of aerated water.
MORG

I've used 3-5 inches in a non-filtered, tupperware containers. (changed water every two weeks or so) These were fairly large "underbed" containers for around $3.99. I customized them to have a screen top and taped the sides so nothing would escape.(add a stone for morphs) I raised Eurycea, Notophthalmus, and A. maculatum in these. The only difference is they were ALREADY larvae when kept and not eggs-larvae.

steve

I typically keep both eggs and larvae in around 17cm (6-7 inches?) of water, thinking anything less just means faster ammonia buildup and necessitates more frequent water changes.

But then I often use the external Tetra cartidge filters with both eggs and larvae as well, and the water has to be at a certain level for the things to achieve flow. Adding plenty of plants keeps the eggs and larvae from being washed around.

For some egg&larvae tanks, I instead use those tiny air-powered sponge filters, and find them preferable to airstones in that they at least help clean the water while aerating it. Well-filtered (but low-flow) water has resulted in a much better hatch rate -- for me at least
happy.gif

Now, if only I could get my C.p to breed like yours have Aaron! No success at all so far this year...
angry.gif

Tim

Hi Aaron,

water depth depends on aeration or not. If you don´t bubble air through the system you should use only app. 5cm (2 inches). Then the exchange of oxygen over the surface is ok. If you aerate you could use deeper water 25cm (8). Also the number of eggs, especially larvae should be not too high.

Uwe

Great news Aaron,i would think deep water would be fine for T.granulosa eggs/larvae,Ive observed eggs and larvae in a pond that was atleast 5 feet deep,so atleast 6 inches of water should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back