URGENT!!! Axolotl not moving!!

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello!

This so urgent so is not type with grammar!
When I came home i saw that my axolotl is not moving. One of his leg is missing skin ( you can see his bone ) and a half of his fill is missing. I think they got into a fight but he is not moving. It’s like he’s paralyzed and cannot mov who’s legs or anything. He does breathe and move his gills tho. I think he’s dying. PLEASE HELP

axolotls are quite resilient and are quite capable of growing missing limbs etc.. back.
transfer him to a tub containing cold dechlorinated water and 2g/l non-iodised salt also an almond/catappa leaf if possible, feed at night clean in morning, the gill may grow back faster than the limb but it will take time, once the wounds are closed/healed he will be able to be reintroduced.
to prevent future arguing ensure tank is large enough for two axolotls (30 gallon for two), make sure enough hides/caves are provided 1 each minimum, also make sure there is enough food provided.
in worse case a barrier may need to be placed in the tank to separate them (ensure there is adequate water circulation) if antisocial behaviour persists.

axolotls are quite resilient and are quite capable of growing missing limbs etc.. back.
transfer him to a tub containing cold dechlorinated water and 2g/l non-iodised salt also an almond/catappa leaf if possible, feed at night clean in morning, the gill may grow back faster than the limb but it will take time, once the wounds are closed/healed he will be able to be reintroduced.
to prevent future arguing ensure tank is large enough for two axolotls (30 gallon for two), make sure enough hides/caves are provided 1 each minimum, also make sure there is enough food provided.
in worse case a barrier may need to be placed in the tank to separate them (ensure there is adequate water circulation) if antisocial behaviour persists
Thank you for your answer! I just put him into a separate tank and l put him in the fridge aince I wasn’t sure what to do. Good news is he started to move his gills slot more and he started to move his head. Bad new is that he started bleeding from his leg. I will definitely try the catappa leaf oil I have as soon as he gets better.

axolotls have good blood clotting abilities so some bleeding isn't a major concern, fridging isn't required although water close to 15°c is fine (although unlike most animals axolotls heal better at colder temperatures but being too cold can be harmful as it can cause organ shut down).
almond/catappa either come as leaves or as black water extract, do not use almond oil.

axolotls have good blood clotting abilities so some bleeding isn't a major concern, fridging isn't required although water close to 15°c is fine (although unlike most animals axolotls heal better at colder temperatures but being too cold can be harmful as it can cause organ shut down).
almond/catappa either come as leaves or as black water extract, do not use almond oil.
Hello!
This is him now. He seems to be better cause he is moving one of his legs and his tail. Although, i saw that he got really skinny so I tried feeding him but it seems like he doesn’t have enough energy to open his mouth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back