Question: To remove or not remove my axie from my cycling tank, that is the question...

Jess

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used water from a fish tank I had already established to start my axie tank. I thought everything was going great, until the ammonia levels started rising. Over the past few days the ammonia levels have been between .25 and .50 ppm.

I realize that these rising ammonia levels mean that my tank is starting to cycle, even though the water was from an already established tank and I thought it was pretty well cycled.

My question is, with a 10 Gallon tank (37.8541 L), and doing between 25% and 30% water changes daily, would it be safer to just put my axie in a bucket and change most of the water in the bucket daily?

While, I don't like the idea of my axie staying in the bucket, I also don't want the chemical levels rising in the tank to harm it. Putting it in the bucket would save me the trouble of the tank water changes however.

I also have a five day out of town trip coming up, and don't know whether I should put the axie back in the tank if I do decide to move it to the bucket, or if leaving it in the bucket for the five days is the better idea, that seems kind of dangerous.

If it was at all safe, I would like to just take my axie with me out of town and keep it in an ice cooler, and attend to it that way. But I would definitely like some advice on this idea before going through with it. I am afraid that might be a little stressful on my axie.

Thank you in advance for your responses!! :happy:

I probably wouldn't recommend traveling with your axolotl for long distance in the car, bumps in the road may cause water movement that may stress your axie. I would say that two long trips over five days might be a little to much, but others may disagree.
Do you have a trusted friend or family member who can look after it for you?

The trip is almost five days total.

I would drive for two hours, spend the night, then drive three hours, stay two nights, drive back three hours, stay the night, and then drive two hours home.

I live with my parents, but they are a little weirded out by my axie in general. And honestly, I don't trust them to do the water changes, or even feed it, because I doubt they would hand feed it like I do, and they definitely wouldn't clean up the uneaten food.

Last edited:
Hmm you're in a bit of a quandary here. Like moony has said, is there not someone who could look after your axolotl for you? Or even carry out some water changes on the tank? Whether or not you put your axolotl in a bucket is up to you, but you still have to cycle your tank and carry out the daily water changes, plus then you also have to change the bucket.
If you take your axolotl with you on your trip you would need to take plenty of dechlorinated water with you or have access to a supply whilst travelling. Would that be possible?

Yes, I think this would definitely be possible. I can take my water conditioner with me and do the daily water changes in the ice cooler. I'm not going to driving for long periods of time, three hours at the most, and will be staying somewhere that I change the water every night.

I just have this horrible scene playing out in my mind of my axie riding in my car and me taking a turn, and him riding on a huge wave in his container and smacking right into the lid. :(

Hi Jess

It sound like the proverbial rock and a hard place. Its not a great idea to take your axolotl and it is not a good idea to leave it in a bucket or in the care of people who won't give it good care.

Best of luck

Ok I am going to go out on a limb and say what I would do personally - take my axie away on holidays. I nearly did it once for a four hour trip both ways as I was worried about leaving him at home during a heat wave whilst I was away on holidays but my partner put his foot down and I was able to get a friend to take care of my axie. You can read about it in this thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52639.

Anyway, as you can't really trust your parents to look after your axie, and a bucket would not be suitable for five days as there will be ammonia build up, at least if you bring it with you, you can keep an eye on it and make sure that the water is changed daily. Car trips do not have to be that stressful, just make sure that it is not too bumpy and that the temperature is kept down. Anyway, I must stress that this is not ideal but I personally feel it is the lesser of the two evils. I think the car trip will be a bit stressful for sure, but I think not as stressful as living in a bucket with heaps of ammonia. Other more experienced people might disagree.

Hi Jess,

I have to agree with Sarah. Axolotls are often successfully sent by mail which means longer trips with less attention (in a packet instead of in a bucket). If you leave your axolotl unattended in a cycling tank for five days, I fear what would await you when you return.

There is one point I am not sure may be clear though - if your axolotl is in a bucket, you have to change that water daily, too. Although a ten-gallon tank is not much bigger than a bucket, the water in the bucket will become spoiled much more quickly. Leaving the axolotl unattended in a bucket is therefore not an option at all.

-Eva

I think if I was in your position I would risk doing a bigger water change on your cycling tank and leave it at home in a cool room . In the mean time carry on with your daily water changes, be extra vigilant on cleaning up waste and extra food.

There is one point I am not sure may be clear though - if your axolotl is in a bucket, you have to change that water daily, too. Although a ten-gallon tank is not much bigger than a bucket, the water in the bucket will become spoiled much more quickly. Leaving the axolotl unattended in a bucket is therefore not an option at all.

-Eva

Yes, I realize I have to change the water in the bucket daily, and that seems to be far easier than doing the tank water changes everyday.

Let me just make sure of one thing though, since my axie is currently in a bucket, I do not need to do water changes in the TANK correct? That's what I was advised of before, and it doesn't say anything about changing tank water daily if you're cycling without an animal in the cycling article. It does say to do a large water change BEFORE you put the animal in, if I remember correctly.

As of right now, these are the options I am considering:

1.) Do a large water change (about 50%) in the cycling tank before I leave, and leave my axie in the tank.

2.) Fill a large Rubbermaid tote about half full with water and leave my axie in that. I'm estimating the tote is probably between 15 and 20 gallons in size. This tote will be much larger than the bucket and if I fill it up a little over half way, the ammonia won't build up as quickly because there is more water correct? (As compared to the bucket)

3.) Put my axie in a little terrarium-like fish tank, which I will then put in an ice cooler just barely larger than the terrarium to keep the water cool, and take my axie with me. I could strap the cooler down in the car with a seatbelt, or adjust my passenger seat so that the cooler will sit securely on the floorboard and not slide around.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to take my axie with me.

Thank you for your advice everyone!!!

Well make sure he sends us all a postcard whilst he is on his travels! lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back