Tiger sub-species help?

RilWater

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I posted this in the "beginner" sections, but I believe it should have been posted here instead. In summary, I have several very healthy tigers and I understand their dietary/environmental needs. What I would like to know is if it is possible to tell more about what sub-species a particular specimen is just from looking at it. I would also like to know what region of North America they most likely originated from. Any tips or recommendations for quality resources is appreciated!

Attachments

• Elsa 1.jpg
    Elsa 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 535
  • Elsa 2.jpg
    Elsa 2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 407
  • Fern 1.jpg
    Fern 1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 385
  • Fern 2.jpg
    Fern 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 350
  • Rorschach 1.jpg
    Rorschach 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Rorschach 2.jpg
    Rorschach 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Sally 1.jpg
    Sally 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Sally 2.jpg
    Sally 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 337
Thank you Tiger Mom Tammy :) and that map was very helpful Seth! I have tried to find a decent identification chart or guide online, but nothing I have found showed enough examples of marking variations to really make an accurate comparison. I thought I would ask some of the pros on here and maybe get a consensus. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Hello sorry to intrude but I'm having difficulty using the post stuff but I NEED some info on what's happening to my tiger

Hello sorry to intrude but I'm having difficulty using the post stuff but I NEED some info on what's happening to my tiger

Welcome to the site. :) Posts in the advanced section are not visible until they are approved by a moderator. If you have a specific problem you can use the newt and salamander help section, your posts will be visible straight away there.

I have tried to find a decent identification chart or guide online, but nothing I have found showed enough examples of marking variations to really make an accurate comparison.

It is tough with tigers, because their patterning can vary so much even within a subspecies. Without knowing where they were originally collected from i really can't say for 100% sure what subspecies they are, but these guys most certainly are A. mavortium, it is just whether they are A. m. mavortium or A. m. melanostictum. These guys however have a typical A. m. mavortium pattern which is why i think that is what they are. :happy: It is really hard to say with certainty though.

Thank you again Seth :) You have been very helpful. Unfortunately I do not know where these guys originated from. Two were acquired from highly un-knowledgeable local pet stores as water dogs. The others were adopted second hand via a um... *cough*Craigslist!*cough**cough* In any case they did not come with detailed pedigrees.

I understand. Most people don't know where theirs came from, it's fine that you don't :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back