Tiger sal with extra arm

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
A buddy of mine sent me these pictures of a tiger salamander he has... with 5 arms!!

tiger5leg1.jpg

tiger5leg2.jpg

tiger5leg3.jpg

I find this to be quite interesting and wanted to share it with the community. Enjoy.

I saw that advertised on KS the other day. I kind of feel sorry for the poor thing. If it were mine I would have the extra limb amputated. I'm curious as to whether or not this defect was caused by environmental factors.
Chip

I saw that advertised on KS the other day. I kind of feel sorry for the poor thing. If it were mine I would have the extra limb amputated. I'm curious as to whether or not this defect was caused by environmental factors.
Chip

I'm curious as to why you'd think such a thing. The animal appears healthy, doesnt seem to be degrading its quality of life in any way.

A fascinating specimen, does anyone know of anymore info around? The extra limbs appear to be quite developed, I wonder if its functional in any way?

It in no way appears functional and that is why I would have it removed. Say for example if it had an extra functional head or tail then I certainly would leave it as be, however that extra limb almost appears to be "in the way" and probably serves no usefeul function whatsoever. Anyway, just my two cents. There certainly are many others who are sure to like it.
Chip

I actually collected an Ambystoma maculatum recently who has an extra foot, appears to be coming from just at the 'knee' joint. I'll have to haul out the camera and photograph it.

The arm does move independently (he has witnessed this both in and out of water) and felt bone and tissue inside of the extra arm.

As far as environmental issues, who knows. It could be a number of things starting with genetics and ending with environmental factors.

I just think it's neat.

Hey Jason...does he look familiar? how are your little guys?

to all, I couldn't possibly amputate, he is in perfect health and quite a curious little bugger. i wouldn't feel right cutting any amphibian while it's alive

In amphibians, extra limb development is almost invariably caused by the right kind of cut/wound in the right place. I can certainly see that extra leg being a hindrance (and perhaps painful too) should that tiger burrow, which being a tiger it is likely to want. Grim as it might seem, Foster might be right, but at this point in its life it's probably too late in the Tiger's development.

On the lighter side, at least it can pat itself on the back....

In amphibians, extra limb development is almost invariably caused by the right kind of cut/wound in the right place.

I agree with that. I raised a group of axolotls two years ago and two of them grew two limbs in the place of one after regenerating arms that sibblings bit off. It really doesn't look like an environmental issue (like the flatworms causing frogs to have 8 legs!). I've also seen a few grow fingers out of their elbows.

It isn't extremely common though, so don't go and bite your salamanders' legs off to get them to grow two back!

3 thumbs runs in my family my dad had his untill he was 13 it was functional and he had no problems writing etc he adapted. He had it amputated due to bullying and now has pain along the scare / in the hand due to nerve damage. We shouldnt judge an animal by our standards it has obviously adapted otherwise it wouldnt of reached adulthood (or its a pet in which case an extra limb doesn't matter) why risk making something worse just because its 'weird' I doubt he will be bullied by the other newt so Id leave it.

and no I am not a lucky 3 thumber :D

Wasn't there an experiment done with frogs exposed to UV light and they grew deformed limbs? Does that mean if I put a ReptiSun in my light, my newts will grow extra limbs? (I'm not planning on doing this though)

Wasn't there an experiment done with frogs exposed to UV light and they grew deformed limbs? Does that mean if I put a ReptiSun in my light, my newts will grow extra limbs? (I'm not planning on doing this though)

I doubt it. Without knowing the conditions of the experiment it's impossible to say. The light used was probably UVC, which is high energy and often used for germicidal bulbs. UVC can cause problems with DNA and fatal mutations in microbes. If I had to guess I would imagine tadpoles were exposed to UVC radiation and when they metamorphosed the extra limb mutations appeared.

There was an experiment done on farm run off and UV light. The parasitic flatworm Ribeiroia ondatrae lives the first part of it's life in a snail and when it's full sized it infects frogs (or their eggs, I'm not sure?) but when the frogs are infected they can grow deformed or extra limbs. Snails feed on algae and when lakes have a lot of fertilizer in them (washed off of fields) it causes algae to grow very quickly and then the snails reproduce faster and the higher concentration of snails means a higher concentration of the flatworms and that means a higher number of deformed frogs in the lake/pond.

Here's a link with a bit of information on it...
http://www.umesc.usgs.gov/terrestrial/amphibians/chapter7.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back