STUCK IN A BIT OF A PARADOX...

P

paris

<font color="000000"><font face="times new roman,times,roman"></font><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"><font size="-1">one often hears of people listed as 'herpetologists', yet no college i have researched offers a degree in that subject. herpetology is often limited to one class offered under a boilogy, or a zoology degree. so there must be an area of specilization post grad. i will be completing my double degree in about 2 years (boilogy/geography)i am trying to seek out colleges for my phd. obviously i would like to go to one that has an active herpetology program, yet i can find none with my web searches. i would like to stay in the pa/oh/wv area if i could, any suggestions? i could combine it with environmental science program if that option arises, but i would like to go to a school that is known for its amphibian research (other than berkly), more in the field research area than the medical.i cannot find my copy of salamanders of ohio, but i believe that was published on a university press.(cant remember if it was ohio university or ohio state) any info will be helpful..unless of course you reccomend i drop out and flip burgers!
lol.gif
</font></font></font>

Hi Paris,

Sorry to burst your bubble but just about anybody can claim to be a herpetologist.
happy.gif

However, all large research collections offer training opportunities and many/most large universities will have faculty staff specializing in (some area of) herpetology. That's where you want to work towards your Ms. or Ph.D. I'd recommend to browse through the leading herp journals and look out for research results which "vibe" with you. Then go ahead and contact the respective scientists and their universities.

BTW, check out http://www.asih.org/ - they give some more hints on a herp career!

Best wishes,
kai

I live in Cincinnati, and I have visited Ohio State and OU. Both have herpetology courses.

Dan

Hi Paris,
You can also try Villanova (I think its Villanova off hand). Aaron Bower is there and he teaches a grad level course in herpetology as well as publishing a lot on geckos and other herps. If you can find a researcher who publishes on herps (such as Bower, Jaeger, Wake, to name a few), then that colleage will at least offer herpetology as a speciality study.
As for Kai's comment, yes many people can claim to be herpetologists but most are herpetoculturists. (I don't claim to be a herpetologist and I get paid to care for and study herps).
Ed

I know a professor at Middlebury College (middlebury.edu) that offers many herpetology oportunities and is the chairmen of the board of herpetology in the state of vermont. He has also spoken of differen't college proffesors that specialize in herpetology and he could help you out. His email is jandrews@middlebury.edu.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back