Photo: Strange colloration

Hey Jeroen, the photo link says I don't have permission to view it.

Hey Jeroen, the photo link says I don't have permission to view it.

Hello Mark, Yes i have noticed it allready. But we maby allready have the anwer. Probably the animals are not well.. they have no eyes and strange markings on there skin.. first tought was piebaldism but my doubting on it is maby confirmed. (The discussion goes on the N&S facebook page.) but i can post a picture of it here aswell otherwise it would not be kind.

Attachments

• DSC01852.jpg
    DSC01852.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC01859.jpg
    DSC01859.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC01870.jpg
    DSC01870.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 483
It appears like the patches are rather... granular? or thick?

maybe its some kind of Candida infecton, ore other nasty things are happened to these animals.

Attachments

• DSC01881.jpg
    DSC01881.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC01883.jpg
    DSC01883.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 432
I've heard of eyeless axolotls, but I've never seen a picture. From what I know, they are sterile, and the gene that causes it is lethal (at least that's what all of the literature I've read on the subject says.). These appear to be older than the lethal gene would have permitted. On a side note, it makes me a little queezy. :sick:

~Anthony

The patches definitely look like something is "caked on"! I'd say that isn't natural at all. I've seen illnesses like that with other animals, but it's hard to imagine the cause of that for an amphibian... It almost seems like it would be hard to the touch. The "cake-like" layers with an infection I've only seen on mammals and avians, never herps.

@ Anthony - Yes those are more experimental animals. I believe i saw some pictures of those @ the ambystoma genetic center website.

The patches definitely look like something is "caked on"! I'd say that isn't natural at all. I've seen illnesses like that with other animals, but it's hard to imagine the cause of that for an amphibian... It almost seems like it would be hard to the touch. The "cake-like" layers with an infection I've only seen on mammals and avians, never herps.

Yes it realy looks unatural. Maybe they are burned ore electricuted, they even could have been leucistic on some pictures i have you allso see some pink comming up between cracks of there skin, leggs and under there mouth.. Nobody realy knows yet what this realy is.

@ Anthony - Yes those are more experimental animals. I believe i saw some pictures of those @ the ambystoma genetic center website.

When you say experimental, do you mean as in breeding? Or that they have been used for some sort of other research?

It looks a bit like they are covered in cold sores but can amphibians get herpes?

They certainly don't too happy or comfortable the poor things :(

Evrything is oke after all. They are just freaks of nature.:eek:

Attachments

• DSC01892.jpg
    DSC01892.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,578
  • DSC01891.jpg
    DSC01891.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC01897.jpg
    DSC01897.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,993
some more ..

Attachments

• DSC01891.jpg
    DSC01891.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC01899.jpg
    DSC01899.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC01904.jpg
    DSC01904.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,080
Yes anthony let me axplane the hole story. She went to a vet yesterday.The vet took samples of there skin, and the tip of there tails. The results where no bacteria, no fungus no illness but realy something diffrent. It should be a kind of somatic mutation. Its a spontanic mutation in the genes. The vet was realy anthausiast about these animals.

The first pictures where maken in bad light.it was no wonder evryone thought bad about these markings. I have recomment her to use the light on the camera. you clearly can cee the diffrences now with the new pictures.. Its a world of diffrence.

Shure the animals will not be used for the market.

Attachments

• DSC01929.jpg
    DSC01929.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC01937.jpg
    DSC01937.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,303
If you look closely, the patches follow the skin indentations and show the pores of the receptors. Since typically iridophores are produced in a more superfitial layer of the skin than other pigments, and they also look metallic which gives them a more solid look, it often looks like they are over the skin rather than part of it. This is readily visible in many species. I remember that in Notophthalmus viridescens it was very clear upon close inspection that the different pigments occupied different layers of the skin. It´s easier to tell in species that have a semi-transparent dermis like the notos, Lissotriton vulgaris, and the like.
So what these poor animals have is just an aberrant distribution and density of iridophores. This type of chaotic and random expression of the iridophores seems to be linked to the eyeless gene (or complex of genes).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back