Question: Sponge filters

Jen10s

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jen
Silly question, feel I should already know but do sponge filters need to be fully submerged (as in water above the height of the plastic tube)?

Setting up for my juvies (15 in all) and have them in plastic tubs which hold around 5 - 10L. Already have one sponge filter running but the water is only about 3cm above the sponge height - is that too low?

My adult tank runs in internal filter & chiller, so newbie with sponge filters :D

Yes it needs to be completely submerged. Otherwise there wont be any agitation of the surface and no aeration of the water

The tube that the air pump goes in should be adjustable so submerge the sponge fully but try to have the tube above the water so that the water is drawn up the tube and falls back into the water as this will aerate the water better :D

Thanks for the answers guys - at the moment the water is sucked up and bubbles away but doesn't flow out of the top of the tube is that Ok?

If not, maybe I can turn it sideways or something cause I don't their water much deeper just yet :happy:

that usually means your air pump isnt strong enough, but if you have one of these sponge filters
aquarium-sponge-filter-setup.jpg
You can lay them completely flat so the sponges are on the bottom of the tank, and twist the tube round so the outflow is pointing up, but thats only if your water is a couple of inches.

Other than that you could buy a more powerful air pump that will create bigger bubbles and push the water out of the top :D

If you don't have water flowing out the tube, you're not getting suction of water through the sponge.

Like everyone else suggested, lay it on its side. I have to keep mine at ~45degree angle to get the right flow, but it works just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rreu: z +1
    Back