Some Kentucky Salamanders

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum, so I thought I'd post on some of the salamander species I've seen this year in Kentucky. They are in no particular order:

1. Mountain Dusky Salamander - We managed to find these once this year. In Kentucky, they are pretty rare and are restricted to the eastern part of the state.
2. Spotted Salamander
3. Mud Salamander - These seem to turn up rarely and randomly, and we have been lucky enough to see a couple this year.
4. Streamside Salamander - We often find these salamanders in freezing cold streams in winter.
5. Marbled Salamander
6. Four-Toed Salamander
7. Red Salamander - One of my favorite stream salamanders.
8. Zigzag Salamander

Thanks for looking!
-Ananth

Attachments

• DSCF3298_MountainDusky.JPG
    DSCF3298_MountainDusky.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 1,351
  • DSCF3567_Spotted.JPG
    DSCF3567_Spotted.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 903
  • DSCF3575_Mud.JPG
    DSCF3575_Mud.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 2,145
  • DSCF3583_Streamside.JPG
    DSCF3583_Streamside.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 833
  • DSCF3592_Marbled.JPG
    DSCF3592_Marbled.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 992
  • DSCF3593_FourToed.JPG
    DSCF3593_FourToed.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 849
  • DSCF3661_Red.JPG
    DSCF3661_Red.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 919
  • DSCF4171_NorthernZigzag.JPG
    DSCF4171_NorthernZigzag.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 767
Nice find on the montanus and the Streamside. Kentucky is always a nice state for herping (when you don't run into Copperheads!)

Awesome pictures! Kentucky is a great place to herp.

Thanks everyone for the positive responses! I have a few more pictures to post (I was only able to post 8 pictures at a time), so here are some more species I have seen this year:

1. Spring salamander, dusky salamander, two-lined salamander, and streamside salamander - these are the species of salamander we find in streams in central Kentucky from about November to April.
2. Jefferson salamander - the only two we found this year were actually found under tin while looking for snakes!
3. Longtail salamander
4. Another photo of a spring salamander, this time from the mountains of eastern Kentucky.
5. Cumberland plateau salamander - we see these ocasionally in eastern Kentucky.
6. Black mountain dusky salamander - the king of Kentuckian duskies.
7. Cave salamander
8. My favorite animal (hence my username) - the green salamander.

Attachments

• DSCF4193_Spring+NorthernDusky+TwoLine+Streamside.JPG
    DSCF4193_Spring+NorthernDusky+TwoLine+Streamside.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 839
  • DSCF4416_Jefferson.JPG
    DSCF4416_Jefferson.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 600
  • DSCF4513_Longtail.JPG
    DSCF4513_Longtail.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 812
  • DSCF4787_Spring.JPG
    DSCF4787_Spring.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCF5092_CumberlandPlateau.JPG
    DSCF5092_CumberlandPlateau.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 819
  • DSCF5236_BlackMountainDusky.JPG
    DSCF5236_BlackMountainDusky.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 852
  • DSCF5335_Cave.JPG
    DSCF5335_Cave.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCF5348_Green.JPG
    DSCF5348_Green.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 775
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back