Sick Axolotl red and vieny.

Elspeth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Elspeth
Hi,

I've looked through alot of the forums to try and find the answer to get my axolotl better, and even asked in the chat room. But now im not sure sure.

I think it was a compaction illness, so i put her in the fridge an she passed some stones in a matter of hours. I left her in the fridge over night and she looked not so red the next day, so i toke her out of the fridge and put her back into the tank early in the morning.I checked on her at lunch time but her behaivour was still a bit sad, so i put her back in the fridge.
its been 2 days so far and she still hasent returned to her normal colour and viens are still promenent.

Should i just keep her in the fridge untill she does return to normal colour?

Thanks, i will be eternaly gratefull for any help.

Elspeth.

P.S i have since changed the substrate to larger gravel.

Attachments

• DSC02227.jpg
    DSC02227.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,464
Hi Elspeth,

The rate of blood flow effects the hue of the axolotl's skin and gills, if the axolotl is active or alert the gills and skin will tend to darken as the blood is pulsing through the veins, if the axolotl is inactive and kept in a cold climate such as the fridge, the gills and skin shade will lighten as the pulse is slowed.

The prominent red veins however are a strong indication of stress, I would leave her in the fridge.

How cold have you set the fridge? The fridge should be set from 5-8C, and no lower than 5C.

When transferring the axolotl from the fridge to the tank, did you allow enough time for the fridged water to come to room temperature (this can take hours) before putting the axolotl back in the tank?

Fluctuating temperatures can cause an axolotl a great deal of stress.

To aid the axolotl in her recovery, her environment needs to be completely stress free. Wrap the container in a teatowel so the axolotl is not disturbed by the fridge light coming on and off during the day's fridge usage.

You will need to be patient and only take her from the fridge when doing a water change.

Ensure you keep dechlorinated water in the fridge as this will be used for the full daily water changes so the axolotl is not subjected to temperature shock.

While the axolotl is in the fridge, could you provide some further information on your tank setup and water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and Tank Temperature?

Hi Jacq, thanks for the info.
I allowed half an hour for the water in the container to reach the same temp as the tank, At least I hoped it was the right temp.
The fridge is set to 5c and she is wraped in a big dark towel. I also have water in the fridge to change the water with.
As for the details on the tank, all i can tell you is the temp is at 25 celcius, and the ph is at 7.5. I dont have anything to test the ammonia or the nitrate, but i have 2 other axolotls and they are doing fine under the same conditions, if that helps. I'll have to go to the local pet shop tomorow to buy the tests.

Hi Jacq, thanks for the info.
I allowed half an hour for the water in the container to reach the same temp as the tank, At least I hoped it was the right temp.
The fridge is set to 5c and she is wraped in a big dark towel. I also have water in the fridge to change the water with.
As for the details on the tank, all i can tell you is the temp is at 25 celcius, and the ph is at 7.5. I dont have anything to test the ammonia or the nitrate, but i have 2 other axolotls and they are doing fine under the same conditions, if that helps. I'll have to go to the local pet shop tomorow to buy the tests.

Hello again,

25C is far too warm for axolotls, their optimum temperatures are 14-18C, they will tolerate temperatures up to 23C, but 24C or over is dangerously high. Heat stress leads to illness with can lead very quickly to death.

The most important test kit is the Ammonia test. The best type of test kits are the test tube kits, don't buy test strips as these are notorious for being woefully inaccurate and you really do need accuracy for axolotls.

I would strongly suggest you read this cooling article for tactics on cooling an aquarium long term, and the Axolotl Site describes the method of using frozen ice bottles to cool the tank.

Hi Elspeth,

Jacq has given you excellent advice (as always ;)) on reducing stress in your axie's environment. Please heed her advice closely. However, there is one additional point i would like to highlight.

I often see early onset cases of septicaemia/bacteraemia in axolotls that present with generalised prominent blood vessels. This is especially so if the prominent vessels remain prominent for an extended duration and change in axie's activity level bears no impact. (Such as prominent vessels during inactivity and rest).

Septicaemia/bacteraemia refers to presence of bacterial toxins or bacteria itself coursing through the blood. The bacteria infection is usually opportunistic, meaning that poor environmental conditions predispose your axie to the infection. This is usually due to poor water quality or nutrition. Thus, it is very important to ensure the water chemisty in particular is optimum.

The reason why the vessels appear prominent is because very often the blood vessels themselves get inflammed in a condition called phlebitis and vasculitis and the axie's immune system is trying to combat the infection.

I would recommend you continue fridging your axie for at least 3 weeks. Continually monitor and if possible take serial photographs. (Take 1 photo each week) This would allow you to assess the progress of your axie. If the condition deteriorates or remain stagnant despite your efforts, you would have to bring your axie to a vet for a diagnostic work up and possible antibiotics therapy.

Cheers.

Thanks for you help guys, but she died late wensday. She was my first, but wont be my last. I toke her out the fridge too early and she couldnt cope. I can only learn from this experience.

Thanks again.

Elsie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back