Sick axolotl, listless, laying on side.

SapphitrFox

Reaction score
Country
Undeclared (Forum rules require a Nationality)
Hello,
I'm in the middle of a scare with my axolotl and I don't know what to do :(

I've had her for a little over a year now, she's only a year and a half. I upgraded her tank to a 150L about a month back, where she was doing fine up until about 5 days ago. Initially I wasn't too worried when she stopped eating for a few days (she'd gone through phases of this in the past and turned out fine). But then she started showing an active disinterest in food a few days in, started looking stressed out (forward facing gills, curved tail, hiding a lot) then when I checked on her that night before bed, she was laying on her side with very strongly coloured lungs and barely reacting to me interacting with her! (See image). I scooped her out immediately and started fridging her, but I have no idea what's wrong D:
I've done a basic water test: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate. Temp stays around 19-20c. There are some stem plants weighed down with stones underneath the sand substrate, some floating plants. A driftwood piece purchased at a pet shop is in there as well. I'm worried if maybe a stone worked its way up from under the sand and has become impacted. I haven't noticed any kind of bloat, but I don't know if it's necessarily visible from the outside if that's the case. I'm also wondering if it's possible that the long soak in tap water for the driftwood, could it have absorbed enough chemicals from this to cause trouble in the tank? It was the most recent addition before she took a turn. I haven't seen any waste in her water since starting fridging about 36 hours ago now.
I also included a photo of the filter I'm using and the lighting. Whatever information that might help :( I'd really hate to lose her!

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 227
Oh, and pH is between 7.6-7.8. It's been that way since I got her.

Did she correct her orientation after you physically interacted with her in the water? Sometimes they wedge themselves into crevices and don't care too much how they're oriented. If she is still having issues being right-side up in the fridge, then it would signal to me something much more serious.

Her gills look like they've been exposed to nitrates in a higher concentration than what you are showing. This could be the cause of the inappetance. I've found that axolotls are healthiest when nitrates are ideally kept below 20ppm.

Overall nothing besides her orientation in your picture looks concerning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rreu: z +1
    Back