Salamanders in pond in Colorado?

dief123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to post a question regarding what salamanders can I add to my pond in colorado springs, CO and I live at 6200 feet altitude. Is there still time to obtain some salamanders before this upcoming ban? What type of salamanders can I get? I know we have some tiger salamanders in the mountains.

Adding salamanders to your pond, unless it is absolutely 100% escape proof (doubtful) is a poor idea. When the salamanders escape, they could spread disease to the native salamanders, or establish non native populations.
In fact, ideas such as this are the reason that law makers feel such bans are necessary.

Adding salamanders to your pond, unless it is absolutely 100% escape proof (doubtful) is a poor idea. When the salamanders escape, they could spread disease to the native salamanders, or establish non native populations.
In fact, ideas such as this are the reason that law makers feel such bans are necessary.
I agree, salamanders might come to your pond to breed if it is good enough haha

thanks for this feedback. I don't want to introduce any non native species, i was only wondering if they had Tiger salamanders. Colorado's official state amphibian—the tiger salamander. I'm hoping some might come to my pond but was wanting to add some. I used to have koi fish and our bears have caught and eaten all of them. All I have left is 1 large bullfrog. I'm hoping to add more bullfrogs and salamanders to create an amphibian pond.

thanks for this feedback. I don't want to introduce any non native species, i was only wondering if they had Tiger salamanders. Colorado's official state amphibian—the tiger salamander. I'm hoping some might come to my pond but was wanting to add some. I used to have koi fish and our bears have caught and eaten all of them. All I have left is 1 large bullfrog. I'm hoping to add more bullfrogs and salamanders to create an amphibian pond.
You shouldn't add salamanders to bodies of water as they can drown and are stressed out when constantly in water, especially tiger salamanders are they burrow in dirt. You might have eastern newts hang out around your pond and breed naturally if it is free of predators (bullfrogs might eat them), cool, large, and somewhere rural

I'm hoping some might come to my pond but was wanting to add some.
Colorado state have 3 subspecies of Ambystoma mavortium : mavortium, nebulosum, melanostictum.
In your location, I don't know what subspecies you can meet (probably mavortium or nebulosum by I can be wrong).
Don't mix the subspecies if possible

If I were you, I would go to your local bait shop, rescue a bunch of waterdogs (aka tiger salamander larvae) do a round of itraconazole treatment...and then put them in your pond.

If I were you, I would go to your local bait shop, rescue a bunch of waterdogs (aka tiger salamander larvae) do a round of itraconazole treatment...and then put them in your pond.
Once they morph, its gonna be over for them if they dont get onto land, so they would eventually escape

Thanks for all this feedback. Based on this information, I'm not going to try to add any salamanders to my pond. I am going to stick with goldfish and mosquito fish.

Thanks for all this feedback. Based on this information, I'm not going to try to add any salamanders to my pond. I am going to stick with goldfish and mosquito fish.
Great choice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back