Salamander vivarium (is it ok)

hlc0709

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cullinan
Hi,
I'm a new fire salamander owner, and I wanted to make sure my two salamanders are at home. Please give me feedback on this setup. Also, only one of them has ate anything so far, and I've had them for 4 days. Is there anything I can do to make them eat?

Note from John: Moved to the help section.

Attachments

• DPP_00267.JPG
    DPP_00267.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 12,237
  • DPP_00268.JPG
    DPP_00268.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 6,872
  • DPP_00269.JPG
    DPP_00269.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 2,557
Just one cricket

Well, I don't know much about fire salamanders. but I know the basics of a terrestrial set-up. I would get rid of the gravel as it might be impacted. Also, maybe add some or something like that. That's bascially it. Have you read the caresheet on Caudata Culture? They may not eat for a couple days if they're new. Just give them some time to settle in and offer a variety of fod items.

Well, one just died. So I don't know what to do. It was walking around and hiding then just went in a hide and died, but before he died, he was completely submerged in the water dish ... and it is not deep at all?

I'm sorry. I'd bet they were wild caught and sold in an unhealthy state. It doesn't necessarily mean the other one is going to suffer a similar fate. How's he doing? I thought your set-up is beautiful. I know nothing about salamanders, but it looked great. I would take the above advice due to the risk of impaction. I don't think that contributed to the death - just think he wasn't well to start with.

Good luck w/ the survivor. I hope he eats soon.

Dana

I would go with earth worms cut into sections before crickets any day...And so would your salamander! Trust me, if a good response to food prey is required, the offering of worms is a needed dietary component. Keep us posted and good luck! The tank looks good, but I'm in agreement about the risk of impaction through accidental consumption of the gravel. I would remove it and simply add soaked and pest free oak leaves, or another hardy dead leaf...

-jbherpin-

It seems the remaining salamander still won't eat. I've tried cut worms, phoenix worms and crickets. Since the death of the other salamander; the alive one won't come out of his hide (the other died in the opposite hide). I use feeder tongs, but I'm wondering if I should take out the salamander and put him in a small tank and feed him that way? At this point I'm going to assume they were both wild caught from their behavior. On another note, how many salamanders can my tank hold (babies, adults or both)?

How warm is the tank? There preferred range is 60-65F any temperture over 70F will cause seriouse injury or death.

Last edited:
Your tank looks very nice. Sorry about the one that died. I'm sure that the salamander was already weak and he must got weaker during the transport and must have got sick.

The tank is 24x12x6. The tank temp ranges from 60-73F. Usually it is above 70F only for a a few hours a day, if that.

Has your remaining salamander(Sorry about the death of the other it happens to the best:() ate anything if not you might want try wax worms.

I have been out of town often lately, and I have left crickets in his tank. Everytime when I come back they are all gone. I just put more in. Although, I have only seen the salamander eat once. He/she seems to be alive and well, and moving around much more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rreu: z +1
    Back