Poison Glands

shorty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Stefanie C
Are these the poison glands I managed to capture? I've never actually been able to see them before. If you have similar pictures, I'd love to see them =)

Attachments

• mylo glands.JPG
    mylo glands.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 3,028
Yup, those two big yellow spots on the head of the salamander are the parotid glands where the poison can be expressed.

I believe the poison glands run the length of the body, I know on my Salamandra you can see pores like those in the parotid running up and down the body on either side of the spine. If someone knows otherwise I'd be glad to hear it.

Abrahm, I think you can see pores running the length of the body in this picture. Very cool shot, Shorty!

Oh yes, for sure you can see parotoid glands since they're so big. I've never actually seen it's poison glands or poison pores just by observing my salamander so I'm just wondering if that's what I managed to capture in this photo. Especially if you click the option to zoom in on the photo, you can see a line of dots running down it's side. Thanks for the responses =)

I see the pores now, thanks Heather! That's a really excellent picture of them Stefanie, I just somehow missed them, too obvious maybe?

Two points:

Abrahm: The glands on the head are not parotid glands, they are parotoid glands. Two different things, similar spelling, common mistake (too common!).

If memory serves, and it usually does, Salamandra salamandra have four lines of poison pores running from head to tail - two along either side of the midline of the back (you're seeing one of these quite clearly in the photo) and one on each side of the body, about 2/5 of the way down (you can almost make these out in the photo).

Well done Stefanie!

Really? They have four lines of poison pores? I've been staring at the photo and can't seem to find the ones that you're mentioning, John. The ones that are 2/5 of the way down? Would you be able to make a marking on my photo and re-post it so I know where to look?

I didn't know my little guy had so much poison secretion potential!!! Hopefully I'll never have to see it happen =P

This one of Travis Dimler`s winning entries in the calendar competition. You can quite clearly see the four lines : 2 run the length of the top of the back, and another more erratic line on each side of the body to where the tail begins (see where the black patches break up in the middle of the side of the animal?).

Really? They have four lines of poison pores? I've been staring at the photo and can't seem to find the ones that you're mentioning, John. The ones that are 2/5 of the way down? Would you be able to make a marking on my photo and re-post it so I know where to look?

I didn't know my little guy had so much poison secretion potential!!! Hopefully I'll never have to see it happen =P

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back