Question: Planted axolotl tank

vanjaif

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Display Name
Vanja
Hey guys! Show me your planted axolotl tank! :happy:

I currently don't have any real plants in my axolotl tank, but I would really love to. I don't have any skills when it comes to aquarium decoration or knowledge about plants. So do you have plants in your axolotl tank? Could you show some pictures and tell me what plants you have, and how you manage to take care of them.

Hope to see some great tanks, Best regards, Vanja.

Here's some of the only good (cell phone) pictures I had of my tank while Latté was alive. (edited for brightness)
Basically I never did anything, no ferts, no root tabs. These plants explode in growth as long as there are nitrates to absorb.
Anubias nana
water sprite
willow moss
flame moss
amazon sword
vallisneria spiralis
my light is a finnex fuge ray that I only have on for 2 hours a day.

Attachments

• 20150522_095743.jpg
    20150522_095743.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 8,832
  • 20150429_090857.jpg
    20150429_090857.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,034
I have some dwarf sword, I think is what it is called, as well as some Java fern and some no-name stalked plants that keep getting uprooted.

The Java fern and dwarf swords seem nearly indestructible and only occasionally get uprooted. The Java fern especially is my go to plant for any aquarium I've ever had since it reproduces so readily.

The plants that have stalks are the hard part. I bought a beautiful piece of mopani wood from Petco to try and convince them to root into something since they are currently just floating around. It currently is soaking in water to get the tannins out and then I'll put it in and tie my plants down.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,359
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 825
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back