J

juraj

Hi all
a few numbers about PH of 4 samples. Maybe interesting:

Peat = 2.81
Coco fiber = 4.51
Litter from foliaceous forest = 6.82
Litter from coniferous forest = 2.74
(pH determination by potential measurement)

Hi Juraj,
I don't have the hard numbers any more but I have different batches of peat have some big variations in the pH with some as low as 2 and some as high as about 4.5.

The only thing I would add is that litter from some under some deciduous trees (such as oak and alders) can be acidic with pHs as low as 4 or so due to the tannins.

Ed

I'm having potential trouble with a new dart frog tank which reaches a Ph of 5, because of peat block landscaping. Has anyone any experience of using a tropical fish-type buffering solution to raise the level of alkalinity?

Interesting. I was foolish enough to believe the claims of the Bed-a-Beast (coco fiber) that it is pH neutral.

The fish buffer might work. Another idea would be to sprinkle in some Calci-sand (calcium carbonate). It might not have an immediate effect, but it should buffer the pH to some extent.

Hi Barry,
I have kept darts on peat moss for long periods of time with no problem. What symptoms are you seeing with the frogs?

Ed

Hi, Ed,

No frogs in tank yet because I'm worried about the PH level! I'v e read low Ph can kill in less than an hour.

Barry

Barry,
Do you have a reference for this with regards to anurans?
Cauadates have been shown to be sensitive to acidic substrates but many people keep anurans on low pH substrates like peat and sphagnum moss with no problems.

Ed

Hi, Ed,
I don't think it's in any of the better-known dart books, so I guess I've seen it somewhere on the Internet. Perhaps I'm getting paranoid for no good reason--or am I getting mixed up between the requirements of newts and frogs.

Anyway, thank you Jennifer and Ed for offering your opinions.

Barry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back