Non-jumping springtails

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed some tiny white things in my worm bin. They climb all over the underside of the lid, and I discovered that I could harvest them by tapping the lid. I didn't think they were springtails because they don't jump at all. But in looking at various online guides, it appears that they are actually springtails. The Notophthalmus efts love them.

I suppose the next step is to see if they can be cultured. If so, I think they'd be a little easier to deal with than the jumpy kind. They are about the same size as the usual little white springtails that are commonly cultured.

Sorry about the bad photos, but these were taken by holding a digital camera up to the microscope eyepiece. And the critters were wiggling like crazy.

Attachments

• springtail4.jpg
    springtail4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 5,039
  • springtail3.jpg
    springtail3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • springtail2.jpg
    springtail2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,177
  • springtail1.jpg
    springtail1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,040
I think you did well with the photos actually. Put me on your list - I can always use a new kind of springtail :).

are these like a white dust covering your whiteworm cultures? If so, I have those too. I seem to be culturing them accidentally in my worm cultures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back