Nitrates in Axolotl tank

maddyb9903

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! i am just wondering if having absolutely 0 nitrates in your tank will harm your axolotl. I have no ammonia, no nitrites , and Ph. is 7.5 ish but i have no nitrates? What does that mean, and could it be hurting my axolotl that there’s no nitrates in the water?

Attachments

• 0704610E-3876-4A99-8F3C-6CF61639DAD1.jpeg
    0704610E-3876-4A99-8F3C-6CF61639DAD1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 650
0 nitrates is a sign of an uncycled tank OR you just did a good water change. There should always be some nitrates present in a fully cycled tank. Everything else looks fine. All I know is when the nitrates are too high, axolotls begin to have adverse effects, but I am not familiar with what those effects specifically are. If your tank is cycled and you have 0 nitrates and haven't done a water change today, then my next question is, do you have plants? Plants eat up nitrates.

0 nitrates is a sign of an uncycled tank OR you just did a good water change. There should always be some nitrates present in a fully cycled tank. Everything else looks fine. All I know is when the nitrates are too high, axolotls begin to have adverse effects, but I am not familiar with what those effects specifically are. If your tank is cycled and you have 0 nitrates and haven't done a water change today, then my next question is, do you have plants? Plants eat up nitrates.
Thanks for your help! I did a pretty decent water change yesterday so maybe that’s it?

do you have any plants or sand? if you have any plants, its not unusual for them to strip the remaining nitrate in an appropriately stocked tank, and the same goes for thick though sand (doesn't even need to be overly thick in a stagnant tank.) also, please don't take offense at this, im sure you know what your doing, but it's easy for new hobbies to mess up nitrate tests. bottle number 2 and the completed mixture has to be shaken for like 15 mins (im exaggerating) but you also do have to let it all set for 10 mins. again, im sure it's not the case, it's just something easy to overlook that should be brought up from time to time.

Hello all! i am just wondering if having absolutely 0 nitrates in your tank will harm your axolotl. I have no ammonia, no nitrites , and Ph. is 7.5 ish but i have no nitrates? What does that mean, and could it be hurting my axolotl that there’s no nitrates in the water?
To answer your question: no, zero nitrates would not be an issue.

Keep in mind that these test kits are quite crude. When you're dealing with concentrations in ppm, etc., 'drops' of reactants is not going to be super accurate. You may have a super low concentration of nitrate or expired reagents in your test kit. It'd be pretty hard for natural turnover of nitrates (e.g., plants, or anaerobic denitrification) to completely eliminate them from an emanating source, but your kit may simply not be sensitive enough for low concentrations.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back