New to axolotls in Alabama

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I just received my first pair of axolotls (white leucistic) yesterday. They are housed in a 29 gallon tank that previously contained a couple of baby red eared slider turtles and a couple schools of small tetras/zebra danios. I have an aquaclear 50 running at the slowest setting and there are no strong currents in the tank.

My wife and I have 8 planted aquariums, and we both have wanted axolotls for a very long time.

The substrate is Tahitian moon sand, and the tank is decorated with sturdy plants (java fern, anubias, tough crypts) and driftwood stumps that I have collected and kept in water for several years until it would sink). The white axolotls look great against the black colored sand.

I bought a bag of soft salmon pellets, but my new little axolotls have ignored them but do love frozen bloodworms. They are still small (3 inches or so), and I plan to feed them earthworms from my wife's organic garden once they get big enough to eat a worm (or I need to look for smaller worms).

I also have an aquatic newt that I have not been able to identify, but he is in another tank.

I've lurked here for a while, but since I now have axolotls, I figured I'd better drink the kool-aid and join the fun.:D

Hi Yucca Patrol

Welcome to the site, it would be great to see some photos

I'll take some photos today of the aquarium they are in. I already have some nice photos of the young axolotls themselves.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Warm welcomes are what we are here for.

You sound like you are very experinced with fish and in case you have not read this page it is worth a look: http://www.axolotl.org.

Should have all the information your after.

If you post a photo of the newt, we can help identify it. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. Being in Alabama I hope you are prepared for the summer heat - your axolotls could suffer and die if they experience more than a day or so above 75 F/ 24 oC (and some individuals are more sensitive than that).

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome.

Our "fish" room is the coolest in the house, and even though we live in a warm climate, we can keep it at 20-21'C year round. If the temp begins to creep up beyond that this summer, we will get a chiller.

I've got some photos of the new axolotls as well as the newt which I would love help identifying. The newt was given to me by someone who could no longer care for it and all I know is that it is an aquatic newt. He's about 6 inches long, brown on the top with bright orange spots on the belly and a bright orange line underneath the tail.

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299-1.JPG

IMG_0299-1.JPG

And now a couple photos of the unidentified newt:

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Very nice photos. You should enter the Calendar Competition ;).

Your newt is a Paramesotriton (warty newt), probably P. chinensis.

Your newt is a Paramesotriton (warty newt), probably P. chinensis.

Thanks for the quick help identifying the newt. I wasn't quite sure which species it was, but my wife will be happy to know that she was right! :D

Very nice photos. You should enter the Calendar Competition ;).

Well, these were just some quick shots to have something to show, but I'll keep working at it and see what I can come up with. :cool:

I became interested in salamanders and newts again after I began going caving a lot and found lots of interesting salamanders near cave entrances and inside them. I really love the bright orange cave salamanders and especially the threatened/endangered Tennessee Cave Salamander (Gyrinophilus palleucus) which is also neotenic like the axolotls.

I have some nice pics of the Tennessee salamanders on another computer, but they are harder to photograph since they must be photographed in the caves with an underwater camera.

your tank and your axolotls/newt look great.

I now also have two wild type axies. A friend and I shared the shipping cost for a few more. They each live in their own 10 gallon tanks. I'll get photos of them up soon.

They love live earthworms and I am not impressed with the small size of the Hikari blood worms. The other brand I had were significantly larger.

Hi Yucca Patrol,

Beautiful axolotls, tank and newt. I like the gills on your leucistic

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back