New pet needs species identification!

jane1187

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm kind of new to Caudata.org (I mean I've been a member of the site but I've never really posted anything) so bear with me.

I have recently aquired a new pet, a 'rough fire bellied newt', which as many of us know could be any one of many species. When I ordered the newt it had a photograph which was without a doubt of a Cynops pyrhogaster, but was apparently 'for guidance only' so I half expected that it might not be a Cynops. Prepared with the task of possibly having to identify the species they arrived and I haven't a clue what they are! I have done some research but I am still not sure.

Please have a look at these photos (see attachments - sorry if the photos aren't very good but he/she wouldn't keep still!) and let me know what you think or know it is. I have a feeling it could be a Paramesotriton species, but if it is I don't know which. Please help!

Let me know if you need any photos from a different angle to ID the species.

If you can't view the attachments let me describe the newt to you. It is almost 11cm long and has very warty skin. They are a greenish-black colour with a ridge down the back which is brownish in colour. The tail is long and paddle like (but not as deep as a paddle-tailed newt) and even in height from base to tip. The belly is black with red spots or blotches. There are a small number of yellowish spots (warts?) on the legs and flanks. I hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_5704[1].jpg
    IMG_5704[1].jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_5705[1].jpg
    IMG_5705[1].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_5706[1].jpg
    IMG_5706[1].jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,391
Indeed it is, and it looks rather malnurrised ...poor fella. Earthworms and waxworms would be a great way to fatten it up.

Last edited:
I am very certain that is, in fact, Paramesotriton.chinensis. It looks identicle to some animals I recently got from a local fish store. I wonder if it is possible they came from the same wholesaler? I really hope that your newt fares better than mine. A pure headache to establish compared to my P.hongkongensis. Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Dnurnberg:
    Will the shrimp eat the worms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
    Michelle1981: Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any... +1
    Back