New paper about nutritional value of alternative feeder insects

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
Attached is a new paper about the nutritional values of 'alternative' feeder insects, including "rusty red cockroaches (Blatta lateralis), six-spotted cockroaches (Eublaberus distanti), Madagascar hissing cockroaches (Gromphadorhina portentosa), fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster), false katydids (Microcentrum rhombifolium), beetles of the mealworm (Tenebrio molitor), and superworm beetles (Zophobas morio), as well as woodlice (Porcellio scaber)."

Quite interesting, and shows that none of these feeders are complete nutritionally. The woodlice have very good calcium:phosphorus ratios (12:1), though.

Hope its useful - might be worth adding the data to the article on CC.

Chris

Attachments

• An Investigation Into the Chemical.pdf
    152.2 KB · Views: 3,691
Thanks for posting this Chris. I'm sure we'll get round to updating the nutritional values articles with the feeders studied in this paper. I'll stick it on my "to do" list.

I use garden collected woodlice in all my terrestrial enclosures and the great news is that caudates readily accept them. I've tried raising some newts recently using woodlice as the main food source and they appear to do very well. They produced very large grey stools, presumably due to the grey colour of the woodlouse exoskeleton.

I feed Porcellio scaber regulary to my animals, yesterdays feeding was actually lots of woodlice:) And if gutload with good food, dosent that make them okey in nutrition?

I didn't really understand a lot of the numbers and such from the article. I want to get a hold of and try out some Porcellio Scaber for my tiger since he's not really an earthworm eater and was hoping that they would be more nutritious for him. So if they aren't complete nutritiously then according to the article, what exactly are they lacking so I can try to supplement it?

You can feed them a variety of food to enhance nutritional value, although I'm not sure how well woodlice gutload. You can also dust them with nutritional supplement powders sold for use in amphibians (Nutrobal etc).
The best thing to do, though, is to give animals a varied diet, as what some species of live food lack, others will have more of.

C

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back