My brother just brought home a poison arrow frog

diamondlittle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jessie
Hello Everyone,
I just got home from vacation today to find that my brother has bought a poison arrow frog. He says that he has done his research, but I am looking for any advice on keeping these creatures. I was reading about them online (it is a blue frog, maybe an azureus?), and many sites have said that they can be fatal to humans. My brother thinks that because it was raised in captivity, it is not poisonous. I'm not sure what is correct, and any advice/tips would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!!

Jessie

Hi Jessie,

I think you would be wise to visit some dedicated dendrobatid websites for tips and advice. For the US I would recommend http://www.dendroboard.com/ which has care sheets and a forum for just this sort of question :cool:.

It’s apparently true that captive bred dart frogs are less toxic than their wild counterparts. It’s thought that their diet in the wild contributes to their toxicity. Replicating the wild diet in captivity is near impossible. That said I really wouldn’t want to test any theories about the toxicity of captive frogs on myself…. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back