Illness/Sickness: My axolotl is losing his frills

Lebald

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I purchased and axolotl last week and can not get him to eat, he was golden and had lovely frills on the side of his head, these have since disappeared. I have had the water PH tested and it is OK not sure what to do he is still quite active I have posted a picture any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Fiddy.JPG
    Fiddy.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Fiddy 2.JPG
    Fiddy 2.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 863
Re: My axolotyl is losing his frills

The first thing I would do is take those lil pebbles out of his tank.. He can swallow them and they can kill him because they are very hard to pass if they dont pass they will kill him...

Next, has he eaten at all for you? What is the temperature in the tank? Is there a filter if so, is there a large current in the water? What are you trying to feed him? has he been pooping at all?

Hes beautiful Just need a lil bit more questions answered to help ya ;)

Thanks for the reply, now to answer your questions,
he has not eaten anything at all and as far as I can tell has not pooped, yes there is a filter in the tank and there seems to be a large current in the water, I have tried to feed him blood worms, meal worms and earthworm, no luck with any of them, I will also remove the pebbles and put a bit of slate in the tank to see if that helps, the temperature of the tank is 24 degrees Celsius, I live in a tropical climate.

Any help would be fantastic.

I just responded to your other post - - -24*C (75*F) is way too hot for an axolotl.

These are cold water animals which means that warm/hot temperatures can and will kill them.

You should keep your water below 21*C (70*F)
A good range is 16-20*C (60*f - 68*F)

Hi, Ive noticed in your first and second picture that he doesnt have a dorsal fin so my guess he turning into a salamander and that probably explains the shrinking of gills and loss of the frills, Keep us updated :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anlucero:
    I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his tank. I have a 20 gallon tank. No other tank mates. 2 hides and a bare bottom. I didn't feed him the last two days. His belly looks swollen and dark in color. I believe it is the food you can see. I fed him blood worms and soft quick sinking axoloty pellets. I tested his water today. Ph was 7.6. The nitrite and nitrate were both zero. The ammonia was 0.25 ppm. I was advised to cycle my tank due to the lack of nitrate. I added Seachem stability 10 ml to my tank yesterday and 5 ml today. I have a tank chiller. The water temp is set at 64. He is still active, but his tail floats up when he is moving about the tank. I am on the fence about fridging him. I also don't know how long to go without feeding him. I don't want to harm him. Please help asap. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
    Anlucero: I believe my axolotl is constipated. I got him 8 days ago and have not seen any poop in his... +1
    Back