Lump growing on axolotl’s hind legs

Wooper194

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I’ve noticed my axolotl (5 years old) has been growing this lump on her leg for a few years now and it seems harmless. It’s not stopping her movements or eating habits. I checked tank parameters and they seem fine too. But I’m noticing it’s still growing larger and I’m concerned what could be the cause of this? If I got it removed would it grow back?

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpeg
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_3010.jpeg
    IMG_3010.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3012.jpeg
    IMG_3012.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
I’ve noticed my axolotl (5 years old) has been growing this lump on her leg for a few years now and it seems harmless. It’s not stopping her movements or eating habits. I checked tank parameters and they seem fine too. But I’m noticing it’s still growing larger and I’m concerned what could be the cause of this? If I got it removed would it grow back?
Hello!

after a little bit of research on that bump, I’m afraid it might be a tumor or an infection. Of course if it’s doing no bad to ur axolotl it isn’t that dangerous. Tumors are very common in axolotls and more often than not, they are benign (non-cancerous) and often if they are not causing any issue to them, the vet will leave them as they are!

Hello!

after a little bit of research on that bump, I’m afraid it might be a tumor or an infection. Of course if it’s doing no bad to ur axolotl it isn’t that dangerous. Tumors are very common in axolotls and more often than not, they are benign (non-cancerous) and often if they are not causing any issue to them, the vet will leave them as they are!
Thanks for the answer! There’s some comfort hearing that they are common in axolotls. I am sure it’s benign, just not the most pleasant to look at!

axolotls have high resistivity to cancer and are 1000 time less likely to develop cancer cells (axolotls are being used to find cancer treatments), this isn't to say that they can't develop cancer just that it is a rare occurrence.
if there is concern the best thing to do would be to visit a vet who might suggest limb amputation to prevent regrowth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rreu: z +1
    Back