Junk food addict

A

anthony

I have an old paddletail who has always been a picky eater, cycling through "fads" when he will only eat a single food for long periods of time despite my efforts to give him a varied diet of live goodies. Lately he has insisted on eating only waxworms, which he gobbles up (sometimes as many as 6 or 7 in a meal). I have tried to feed him the usual standbys, but he refuses everything but the waxworms, even if he has not eaten for up to a week. I'm concerned since I have heard that waxworms are very fatty and are basically just newt McD's. Any advice on breaking this frustrating behavioral pattern?

Well, if it's eating 6 or 7 waxworms at a single meal, you can afford to wait longer than one week before trying something else, e.g. earthworms. Allow a break of at least two weeks, try earthworms. If it refuses, wait a few more days and try again. It'll get the message!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • mynewtnameddettie:
    Is my newt okay if I poke it? I think I accidentally poked him too hard and I'm worried I hurt him. Help lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Michelle1981:
    Hello, I’m looking for fire bellied newts that will ship to Ontario, Canada. Are there any captive breeders here? I’ve had many in the past and I’m looking to get a pair for my 12 yr old. I will be the care taker!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jcjchdjdj:
    What are good worms for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    Hello. I’m looking for some input. My axolotl is about 7 months old. I came home and her gills are completely white. I was reading that they do shed around this age. Could this be why her gills are white? The ph is 6.5-7. Nitrates are 80 Nitrites 0.5
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieCrazy:
    My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple of pellets to see if she would eat. One hit her head and she flipped out. Started darting all around the tank. Temp, ammonia, nitrates are all in range. Anyone know why this is happening? I pu
    +1
    Unlike
    AxieCrazy: My axolotl’s gills have turned completely white. she is about 7 months old. I fed her a couple... +1
    Back