Italian alpine

natterjack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'm seeing the Italian alpine newt written as I. alpestris apuanus but also as I. alpestris apuana..
which is correct?

I. alpestris apuanus is the correct scientific name. I think Apuana refers to the Apuan mountain region in Italy where the subspecies is found. Maybe Italians use Apuana to describe the region and hence it transfers to the newts.

The confusion is because 'Triturus' is masculine, but 'Ichthyosaura' is feminine- so 'Triturus alpestris apuanus' and 'Ichthyosaura alpestris apuana' are more grammatically correct.

Rana ridibunda / Pelophylax ridibundus is an example of one that's gone in the other direction...

Thanks for clearing that up. So Wikipedia etc are correct with apuana and many newt owners still go with apuanus as a throw-back to when it was classed as Triturus. Good to know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back